Monday, August 16, 2010

My Gang

Dear Nicky,
You and Andy play with your Scooby Doo figurines all day. I've super-glued Fred, Velma, and Daphne more times than I can count. We lost Scooby's legs but you still play with him. I guess you can't imagine the gang without, well, one of the gang. You and Andy were my gang up until tomorrow when you start school. I'll be starting a new morning gang with Andy and Christian. You won't be there. It'll be like playing Scooby Doo without Daphne and just won't feel right. I'll miss you more than I can say. I don't tell you this because I want you to be excited and happy when you walk in your line into your colorful, bustling classroom. I know you'll be worried enough about finding your way, making friends, and learning all you need to know. You shouldn't worry about me.

It's funny how when I think of you, I easily remember year two. That was the year that you wore your "pretty shirt" every day and made my life hell. It was the only time I envied moms of those in school. You grew out of that stage so fast though and then I dreaded the day that is here tomorrow. I always measured time for our gang by how much time we had until you started Kindergarten. I remember lazy days, zoo days, park days, sick days, pool days, happy days, sad days, and fighting days (you and Andy). Except for a few days, I've spent all my days the last five and half years with you. The house will be quiet without your giggle and loud voice.

I know our adventure is not over and I know you'll need me more than ever now that you are beginning to make your own way in this world. I wish I could protect you from loneliness, shyness, sadness and from mean kids. But I know you need your experience too. Just remember, you are and always will be an integral part of my gang. I will always be right here for you whenever you need me. I love you little girl.

Love Mom



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet, it makes me teary-eyed. You guys will do great tomorrow, and now she will come home and teach "your gang" all new stuff!

Lindsay Jones said...

I love the way you put your feelings into words, so sweet. I hope everyone has a good day. My goal on this day-make it to the car before I cry!

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness did this post evoke memories. I remember those feelings so well. If you think kindergarten is tough wait until they graduate and head to college. I can't even go there because the waterworks still flow. Sarah is a senior this year and it's killing me!! :(

SuburbiaMom said...

Is kindergarten full or half day? Bring tissues to the school!! *hugs to you*

Marie' said...

What a sweet post. I remember that feeling so well.