Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Eat to Live

When I tell people I gave up sugar, refined foods, crackers, chips, etc., the question I get is, "what do you eat then?" If you are interested in all the secrets of eating for health and slimness, I'll you refer to the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. In general I eat a lot of whole grains, nuts, fruit, vegetables, and beans. Except for the grains and nuts, I eat unlimited amounts of these foods. I cut out dairy because I don't really need it and I limit meats to flavoring a dish. I do have salmon for dinner about once a week. Dr. Fuhrman recommends becoming as close to vegan as possible.

This book has been a special blessing to me. I read it after my dad died about two years ago. It educated me about food and cleared up misconceptions. For example, my fear was always that I would be hungry if I ate only veggies and other healthy things. Dr. Fuhrman explains that when you give up junk food, you get a feeling that makes you think you are hungry because your body is in withdrawals. It isn't true hunger. After a few weeks your body is detoxed and you don't experience the cramping and headaches. I also learned that if you aren't eating nutrient dense food, your brain will keep telling your body that is hungry because it doesn't have the nutrients it wants. That's why you overeat and gain weight. So I gave it all a try and I am believer. I am hardly ever hungry anymore and I eat so well. Dr. Fuhrman claimed in his book that you'd get to the point where you wouldn't even want sugar or refined foods. I didn't believe him. It is true for me now. I feel so good and full that I don't want anything that makes me feel sick and yucky.

So there you go. I share my blessing with anyone who wants to pick up the book and take the challenge. It will change your life.

2 comments:

Jen and her men said...

awesome! i totally believe in this! can't wait to read the book :)

Jennifer Wiegand said...

Now we are totally on the same page :)