Lately, we've been offering prayers to find things around here. For me, it was finding the Ipad before Cole came over for Barton tutoring. I had searched the house for a half hour before I prayed. Finally, I kneeled down and asked and a minute later, I looked under my hanging clothes in the closet and found it stuffed in a crack. I never would have found it. For Andy, a prayer was offered for help in finding he drone remote control that had been missing for months. He felt like he should look in a spot he'd already checked so he obediently went and there it was. As time goes by, maybe we can chalk these things up to coincidences. That's why I thought that it is so important to write them down. It does not feel like a coincidence when, in your moment of need, you are let off the hook and given a break. I've had so many of these experiences with my keys, finding lost items, there was even once when, as a kid, I asked that the wind could blow so I could fly my new kite. I took the kite out in the field and a wind whipped up and their was kite flying to be had.
I asked the kids why they thought God was so quick to answer these prayers, for children, for seemingly insignificant things. I don't think I even let them answer and it came to me. He is showing us that he cares about our small needs, he's a friend we can trust, and he is so very close.
Sometimes the bigger things I ask for don't always come with an immediate answer. We are left to struggle with problems and learn patience. This is when my faith is really tested. But if I remember the small prayers that were answered, I can remember that if he were present for those small prayers....how would he be absent for my big problems.
I love the scriptures in Luke 11:9-13. "Ask and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. if a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? "
Recently Nicky has been given the opportunity to do her own hair in the morning. Up until this year, I did most of her hairdos. With the boys going to Rock Creek, I have to get them over to school in the morning and I don't have much time to help her before the carpool. She's been up for the challenge and has gone on YouTube to help herself learn some styling techniques. The hairdos have really looked quite good and I enjoy watching her grow and gain her independence. Being able to do your own hair is a wonderful life skill. However, after a few days of doing her own hair, she started saying to me, "it would be so nice if you were around to do my hair. It's hard work. I don't feel like you love me as much because you don't take the time to do my hair for me." I assured her that I could help her with her hair if she woke earlier but I also like watching her learn this new skill. I know in a few years she will want to do her own hair and she'll be further along if she practices now. I told her if anything looks weird of she really needs the help, I can step in. As a parent we have to step back and let our kids learn for themselves. I wonder if this is also like the times that Heavenly Father steps back and we feel like we don't get the answers to our prayers or we think he doesn't love us. Although he's right next to us, he must watch us wrestle with our problem and gain new skills. He has not abandoned us. He is just helping us learn by being hands off. He'll step in if he needs to but he also enjoys watching us gain our own strength and build our own confidence in handling decisions and creating our own exit route our of problems.
I appreciate knowing that he so near. When he helps us with the small things. It is just a reminder of how close he really is. I love feeling the Savior's love and wish I could have immediate answers each and every time. Maybe just one way to feel better would just be imagining him standing quietly nearby. Life might not be so scary that way.

No comments:
Post a Comment