Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Everyone Needs a Nicky



Giving up the SAD (Standard American Diet) is no easy task. I imagine it might be easier if you had you whole tribe at home eating huge salads, begging for green smoothies, and happily forgoing the trips to Krispy Kreme. My husband Jeff  loves to eat healthy but he also likes treats. Right now he's not motivated to give up his midnight chocolate or Ben and Jerry's. So that stuff sits about and is in within easy reach if I have a weak moment.

Once again it is a new first week. I don't know how many first weeks there have been...probably a hundred. But I'm determined to make this my last first week. I've decided in weakness, one must put on their armor and prepare for battle.  There are two weapons I have found work best in fighting the war against food addiction, they are 1) planning ahead and 2) asking for support. So, I got my planner out and listed out what foods I'll eat this week. For my support, I enlisted my daughter Nicky. Nicky is almost 14 and a lovely example of a teenage human being. Of course she's typical for a girl her age in that she loves to toy with her hair and peruse her phone looking at pictures, playing games, and watching Youtube. She may be your typical teenager in those ways but she atypical in others. Like Nicky is so mature and adultish and I've always felt she understands things beyond her years.

I approached her a few nights ago and asked her if I could make my Eat-to-Live commitment to her so that I would have someone to keep me accountable. She readily agreed. I have faith in prayers and I believe a loving God wants me to meet my goals and be the healthiest and happiest version of myself. I have said my prayers many times in my quest to be in control of my eating. I have also let myself down many times. I don't think God didn't hear my prayer. I have not kept my commitment to myself and therefore, how could God help me?  I asked Nicky to say a prayer for me. I don't remember her words exactly but it was one of the sweetest prayers I've ever heard said just for me. She asked God that I would be able to make it through this week and keep my goal. There is something different about hearing someone that loves you pray for you versus praying for yourself. Prayer truly does bind your support person to you in love. I can't imagine not having faith in that sweet prayer and I can't imagine not keeping my commitment when I know that Nicky is rooting for me. Who is your sweet Nicky? Who can help you reach this goal of health and happiness?

No comments: