I think my hormones have stabilized thus I'm allowing myself access back into my blog. I'm proud of my self restraint and how little documentation there will be of the volatility that is my mood of late. I'm pretty sure most of it has to do with being ugly. I don't fit into anything that doesn't have an elastic and it's old. I'm happy though because I'm doing something about it and I may be on to things that button in another month or so here.Now, on to the new member of the family, the Honda Odyssey. I probably don't need to put the picture because if you don't own one, you've seen a million on the road.
I hate it when I look at it but really love it when I open the doors and get inside. There's two automatic sliding doors on the sides and a DVD player that comes down from the ceiling. The kids will all be spread out so they won't keep putting their fingers in baby's mouth. It's all roomy and deluxe and I can imagine all our camping stuff would fit in the back so perfectly. We went back and forth between getting a mini van and an SUV and I came to the conclusion the only reason to get an SUV would be so we wouldn't look like nerds. The mini van seems so much nicer for getting little kids in and out. I get annoyed with all the people (mostly from my old neighborhood) who thought their cars made them cool. I checked again today and found I'm still me despite having a mini van in the garage. Getting a mini van is equal to getting wrinkles or stretch marks in my mind. It just comes with having kids and getting older. I like having all the kids too so if people spot my van and peg me as a mom, so be it. I am a mom after all.
Jeff is not adjusting as well. Give him three kids but don't give him a mini van! Luckily I got a laugh out of him when showed him an online video of the guy who buys magnetic flames for the sides of the van to make it cool. Jeff says he'll only drive it if the whole family is in the car. It was so hard for him to spend so much money on a car he hates. When he had to drive it alone to get the alignment it put him in a bad mood. Poor guy. I think the man who buys a mini van is the most attractive of all because it demonstrates he is one who puts others' needs ahead of his own.
So it sits in the garage now like a secret weapon. I can't wait to have an outing or have visitors and fit them all in. My sister won't have to sit on the floor of the back seat anymore when she visits. Hooray!
7 comments:
Good for you!
Scott was awarded "the first man that broke down and bought a mini van award" at his business school LDS group.
oh yea for more room!!!! And yea for some safety when I travel with you guys next time! :)
HA! We never had such a dilemma. The day we got a van was a celebratory day, and the day we got a nicer one was that much better. Jake just likes to have the "best" van in the neighborhood and stuff. I guess every man has his pride . ..
Oh, mini-vans! I was the one more concerned, of the two of us. But, if you've got it (a family with kids)--flaunt it!!
I've loved our mini-vans! You will be so glad you got it. We got our first mini-van when we were expecting our 4th. There was no way we could squeeze a fourth car seat into our already squished back seat with 3 car seats. That was almost 21 yrs. ago and we are still driving a van - yikes!! That's because even as the older kids start to leave home we've had younger ones here and I would still drive for field trips & sporting events and the room was needed for extra kids or equipment. It's also nice to have when the other kids come home to visit. I had hoped when we needed to replace our previous mini-van we could downsize but it wasn't the time yet. We said that this van would indeed be our last one. I was excited about that. Now I'm not so sure I'm excited about. It's the end of a very large chapter in our lives. For now, I will continue to enjoy my van even though we only have one child left at home :)
P.S. Over the years the extra space in the van was nice when we went camping or on road trips. Now it's nice to have to when we move a kid up to college and we need to pack their belongings :)
Rick sold our Yukon when we moved to England. We had a Toyota Sienna that fits 7 which we left in the states and finished paying off two weeks before we found out we were having twins. We now no longer fit in the 7 seater. We purchased a Toyota Sienna that fits 8 in Englnad and brought it back with us. We looked into to trading in the 7 seater, but couldn't get enough out of it to make it worth it so Rick's second car is Seinna too. It's comfy for his carpool. I know he still wishes he had his Yukon and still thinks of ways to trade that 2nd van in. The looks of a SUV is definately cooler, but I love how much easier the van is for kids to get in and out of it.
Post a Comment