Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Choir

Today I was driving to my eye exam and listening to Christmas music. It hit me that most artists who sing holiday music are using the hymns/songs to showcase their own talent. Take for example Josh Grobin's "Oh Holy Night." I love his voice but when he sings that song it bothers me. I don't think about the words or the Savior because his voice overpowers the whole thing.

I'm thankful for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Their rendition of "Silent Night" is my favorite Christmas hymn. Every time I hear it I wonder if real angels are blending their voices with the mortal singers. I love how all the choir members have gorgeous voices but no one person is in the spotlight. They even all wear the same clothes. They mingle their talents together and give power to the music and lyrics and the glory goes to the message. I wish I could be in Utah this season so I could take in one of their Christmas performances. I think it would be the closest thing to heaven. The music is so luminous and transcendent.

2 comments:

Marie' said...

Thank you for that message. I played the piano in our ward choir, until I couldn't stand the director. My sister felt bad for me and called me to scouts. i don't even go to the choir any more, after I cried through a practice. Your post made me think again why we sing in ward choirs. It is not about me and my relationship with the director. It is about praising The Lord.

Lisa said...

I agree Melissa. Alycia gets to go to their concert this Friday. I'm so jealous!!!