Sunday, May 2, 2010

Golden Triumph

I'm in hot pursuit of my young women's medallion. The Young Women's President gave me the go ahead and I received my personal progress book and journal today. In a faraway place, long ago, I was a sweet teenager with a rebellious streak for the personal progress program. I gloated in the younger years. With my back to the medallion I was a virtuous woman who married in the temple. It seemed useless.

If it was useless, then why the irksome regret bubbling up whenever a fresh faced girl took her walk to the podium to receive her golden triumph? Why the yearning for lost years when my niece told me my write up of my grandmother's journal would count as a medallion project?

Last weekend I found the personal progress book online and read through the requirements. The plans within would serve to build testimony and move one to become goal and action-oriented. I was a fool. I intend to rectify this. It looks like a lot of work so the rest of you medallion girls should wish me luck. I'll join your ranks soon.
As for the random poem below, expect more in this blog. I miss poem making. I felt like singing last night and given I have no musical gift, a poem was born. I attempt to stamp my feelings with words. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Actually it probably doesn't work because I have no poetry training. I need to go back to school sometime to learn or re-learn how to do cool stuff.

6 comments:

Sharon Fairbourn and family said...

I just started working on personal progress with my 12 and 13 year old. They are way ahead of me but I keep plugging away. Who knew it would be so hard to remember to say your morning prayers every morning for three weeks. I am starting over for the third time. It's been a neat experience so far. Good Luck you'll do great.

Lindsay Jones said...

That is so cool! I think there are some goals about cooking and meal planning for a week. You should be able to get some done just by being a mom. :) Make sure to let us know how it goes and what you do for your projects!

SuburbiaMom said...

Great post, but did you know that the medallion is not gold now? It's platinum-colored. You will do great!

Lisa said...

Good for you Melissa. Kiersten, I thought you had a choice between the gold and silver one. Sarah has a silver one and is working towards a gold one so she has one for whatever color palette she may wear ;)

Kimberly said...

Good for you! The program is so different now than it was when we were in YW's. I love the YW's program and the goals it helps you achieve. That's how I got into the habit of saying daily prayers and scripture study. Now you will be an even greater help to Niki when she is old enough to finish the program. Taylor just turned 8 and gets to participate in Activity Days and complete her Faith in God...so crazy!

Marie' said...

the funny thing is that Scott rebelled and stopped scouts when he was a star, only one step away from his eagle. his grandpa bribed him and offered to take him to Korea if he got his eagle, and that was the real end to scott's already faltering motivation. He is now an assistant scout master and loves his calling.