Thursday, September 2, 2010

Mr. Beardie is a Baby


Last Saturday a little girl's dreams came true. Nicky is the proud owner of a 2 1/2 foot long Bearded Dragon name Mr. Beardie. I worshiped and adored cats as a youngster and always imagined my brood would do the same. Enter Jeff and Andy with cat allergies and somehow the love and longing for lizards grew within the girl who loves dresses, princesses, ballet, and all things feminine.

Mr. Beardie does feel a bit like a fourth child. I kiss the kids.

Sometimes I kiss Mr. Beardie if he's been a good boy.


I put children to bed.


And we always say goodnight to Mr. Beardie before we snuff out his heat source. Truth be told I'm a little jealous of all that basking he does. There's worst things than sunbathing all day.


I also feed, bathe (yes Mr. Beardie must have a weekly bath), and clean up poop. Mr. Beardie loves treats though not ice cream or cookies. He enjoys chasing and eating crickets. So even though Mr. Beardie is a different species and feels as cold as if he were already dead, he's not much different than kids when it comes to care.

So why don't I love him? Why do I secretly dream of the day I find he's died and we move his corpse and his tank out of the house? Holding him gives me the chills. I guess I'll give myself time. They say you love those you serve. He lives up to 20 years.

3 comments:

Marie' said...

Oh gosh, Melissa, you are such a good Mom. Does Mr. Beardie show any sign of friendliness? Just wondering.

Cami said...

Oh man, I would not love him either. Sorry Mr. Beardie.

SuburbiaMom said...

20 years, what a fun kid you have there!