Saturday, September 18, 2010

Weird Somehow Becomes Normal

Isn't it amazing how well humans adjust to change; experiences that were new and weird yesterday become simply normal today.

I contemplated this reality as I sat outside the Sacramento Reptile Show and nursed Christian. Escaped crickets hopped and chirped around the convention center hallways while I watched them peacefully from my motherly perch. Andy was with us and made a game of smashing crickets with his flip flops. Then he peered at the bottom of his shoes and was pleased to not find guts.

Last month crickets were gross insects; this month there's a fondness and acceptance for the little buggers as they're Mr. Beardie's favorite meal.

We attended the Reptile Show as a family at Nicky's request. This woman is future snake keeper. She has no qualms about touching and loving anything that sticks out a split tongue. There was an eye smorgasbord for her to be had at the show. There were Geckos, Monitors, Iguanas, Bearded Dragons (both small and large), and millions of snakes. I also felt more normal about our pet after seeing all the throngs of people at the show treating reptiles as normal pets. I feel slightly disappointed that Mr. Beardie isn't as healthy looking as some of the other Bearded Dragons we saw.

When we finished looking, we picked up some treats for Mr. Beardie including a live pinkie mouse and some canned crickets. The only trauma of the day came when we got home and Mr. Beardie would have none of the pinkie. Nicky held the tiny fetus mouse in her hand and got all motherly with her eyes as she stroked its wriggling body. I knew we were in trouble. I told her to throw it over the fence because we couldn't keep it. I explained there is no mommy mouse around and little pinkie is much too small for me to nurse. She threw it over the fence and came back crying. I almost cried too. Nobody likes to throw babies to the birds or whatever else is in the preserve but the mouse was food for crying out loud!!! I'm not getting this food as pets thing. Plus mice are gross. Or are they? That gross pink squirmer looked pretty sweet in Nicky's palm. It's all in the perspective I suppose.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

You are such a good Mom :) P.S. Baby mice grow into big mice which is gross. Besides, the pinky wouldn't have lived anyway. You did the right thing if she wouldn't feed it to Mr. Beardie. Oh, I have some crazy pet stories I could tell you!!!

P.S.Alex left his pet snake "Tom" here for us to take care of while he's on his mission.

KellyDiane said...

Man I just don't know about this, you guys are attending conventions now!? I feel like next time I come to visit your house is going to be filled with all sorts of scary creatures...can you all just get a cat!? :)

SuburbiaMom said...

Weird people probable think they are normal. Aren't we all a little weird about something?

Sharon Fairbourn and family said...

That's amazing that she love's reptiles. I'd love to chat with you sometime about charter schools. I have been reading your blog and I have noticed that you go back and forth between home schooling and school. I know exactly how you feel. I am not confident enough in myself to do it, plus a few other concerns. Meeting all my kids other needs besides schooling is challenging enough. I like having my kids home though. The social is important, however I have one daughter who it wasn't very good for her socially either. Out of all my options I have decided charter schools are my best option.