Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Assessment Time

Christian had his first physical therapy assessment yesterday. The therapist was an older woman with a hawk eye. She had me undress Christian down to his diaper and than her eyes roved over every joint and muscle on his frame as he played with toddler block toy that required standing and bending. She quickly noticed his feet weren't giving adequate support. He has flat baby feet that haven't matured and his ankles slide way too far when he stands. Because it's uncomfortable to be on his feet, his little calves have low muscle tone. His arms and core are also low in muscle tone. The remedy will be some orthotic inserts and some new shoes from Stride Rite. As long as he improves with the inserts he won't need the full orthotic shoes. The therapist says Christian has knee walked because his brain is telling him it's time to be upright but his feet and ankles aren't on board.

The occupational therapy assessment comes today and the speech therapy tomorrow. The physical therapist says sometimes when a child is working hard on gross motor skills, other skills like speech can suffer. We'll see what they say.

I'm certainly glad I ignored most well meaning comments sent my way and went ahead with the assessment yesterday. Yesterday morning one friend told me not to spend the time and money because Christian is crawling, standing, and walking with assistance. Her toddler did physical therapy because she never crawled and just scooted on her bottom. Another friend kept saying to wait because he seems so close and therapy is expensive. The lady on the phone for the free therapy through California Alta Regional pooh poohed me and said he's only had his ear tubes in for two weeks so she felt unsure about giving me a case worker for his speech or walking. At every turn it feels like I'm being judged as an impatient hypochondriac. Is it that or am I just too sensitive?

Christian has an adorable little smiley face and floppy blond hair. Maybe it's just because he engages people with his eyes and smile that they look at him and think everything is fine. I don't feel insanely worried. He's just slower and smaller than my other kids. Some things don't seem right and I want to be a good mother and investigate. It's sad to watch other toddlers his size running around the park and talking and Christian just pulling up and standing at the park bench. The other comments that are troubling are things like, "well...no matter what happens, he's better off than so and so who has such and such syndrome." Ok, yes...I am very sensitive to the fact that there are worse things. I saw many worse cases yesterday at the pediatric therapy center. Does this mean I shouldn't worry at all about my child because he's not as bad off as someone else? Is that supposed to be comforting?

The other thing that isn't that comforting is hearing about other similar situations where the child ended up just fine. It's like getting diagnosed with cancer and hearing stories from others about cancer survivors. That's fine for them but you ask yourself, "what about me?"

Comforting things that can be said:

"I can understand why you'd be concerned. I would be too if my child was showing some delays." Or, "It's good your doing all you can to get to the bottom of this early on."

Now I've written the script for anyone who wants to leave a comment. Ha ha. Don't worry, all of these comments came from local friends and family (Kelly) and none of my blogging friends.

Before I leave I'll say that I'm guilty of saying the wrong thing too. We all mean well. It just feels lonely when you have a problem or concern and others want to sweep it under the rug with their comments. I still love everyone. My unmarried sister hates it when I tell her about the old maid Smith sisters who I thought had everything going wrong for them and one of them ended up getting married after all in her 40s. She says it's the worst thing to say for reasons mentioned above (think cancer patient). I'm done with my biotchy rant for the day.

9 comments:

KellyDiane said...

Did you forget that I read your blog? :) My comment was nice!

Anonymous said...

Always follow your intuition! Parent's know their children best! Specialists will try and try to put you off and say nothing is wrong a lot of times because it is so expensive to serve these kids. If you think something is not right then you should fight to get help for him! Early intervention will help so much even if he has a life-long condition! I see these kids every day and all too often do parents have to fight for things! Not sure how to sign in but this is Tammy

Jen and her men said...

I'm a big fan of early intervention. Good for you for following your instincts and getting him checked out! It's hard to watch our kids struggle. You know I think the world of you :) You are great parents and will do what's right for your kids. Good luck!

Lisa said...

Melissa, you are your child's best advocate and you know him better than anybody. You have to go with your gut feeling/intuition/ or whatever you want to call it. You are a wonderful Mother and Christian is blessed to have you :)

SuburbiaMom said...

I think you are doing what you feel is right and that is what's best! You're his mom--who wouldn't want more than his best interests!

Skinner Family said...

You are doing the right thing! I know where you are at, Bailey was much different, but even the doctors weren't too worried. With all that I have experienced, eary intervention is SOOOO important. You will never have to wonder what if I had..... Bailey has used ortho's most of her life. About the time she got in kindergarten she graduated to the inserts, they are awesome!!! The only negative is that she can't really wear sandals, but the positive by far outweighs that. We have also used Stride Rite shoes, they too are great! Keep doing what you are doing, and don't let anyone tell you any different. You will be so glad you gave him the help now, and not down the road when it could be much worse. Hopefully I said the right things and you aren't offended ;) Good luck with speech and OT, I have been there and we are still doing that, you will have to let me know how your experience goes. If I can be any help, please call me!!

Sam and Bria said...

I agree with Mrs. Anonymous. You know your child the best and sometimes in the medical field you need to push until you feel you are getting what he needs. It won't hurt him to have extra help with anything. I had to go to speech therapy for three years while I was in elementry school and I'm already trying to get Ella help with some of her letters that she can't say. Do what you feel is right because you know what is best. Plus you can always pray about anything your not sure about. :)

Cami said...

Oh man, people always say the wrong things. The biggest thing I got after my boys were diagnosed was that I should probably adopt from now on. Seriously. People!

But I always tell people, there is no HARM in getting them checked out! Ease your mind, or get things going is my plan. So I think you're doing the right thing. People will give you mixed reviews all along the way. You just ignore them and do what's best for you.

Amber said...

I say we need all the help we can get as parents. We can't always fix everything and that's why there are specialists etc. to help us. Not to get all churchy, but i'm sure you pray for direction and help as you are making your decisions, so whatever you feel good about is the way to go. We love you and are thinking about you!