Monday, March 21, 2011

Behind the Piano

I've played piano in primary now for three months. The person who is now the primary chorister used to play piano for Relief Society. She used to make me laugh when she'd tell me the "compliments" people would give her after some of her wrong note riddled performances.

"It's always nice when someone tries something new."

"I like to see someone out of their comfort zone."

Accompaniment is something I've taken for granted all my church going years. It's always there but I never bother to look at who's behind the piano. Perhaps it's only something you notice if the pianist is really bad or nobody in the room plays and you have to sing acapella. Given these facts, I received the best compliment in all my piano playing years on Sunday. A young girl got up and said the closing prayer and thanked almost every person in the room (chorister, president, counselors, etc.) for the wonderful primary she'd had. Literally I was the only person not thanked. I've arrived folks! I'm an official, not-that-bad piano player who isn't noticed and I feel pretty darn good about my talent. Who knew compliments could come in the way of being un-thanked.

I've decided church piano playing is not that different from being a mom. In likewise fashion you're only noticed if you're not there or you screw up. I love both of these jobs! Keep not noticing people! And, if you really want to throw your local pianist for loop, actually do thank him/her for their lovely gift. I promise you, we don't get the real gratitude often.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I always notice the pianist no matter what because I'm envious and wish I could play!

SuburbiaMom said...

People do take the pianist for granted, I know what you mean!

Marie' said...

I had been the "fill in" pianist for the last year until I got called into YW, and that got noticed, I will tell you. I was asked to get up to the piano only when RS was about to start and the pianist didn't show up. See, they didn't want me to start playing and then see the pianist walk in because that would be awkward. All that meant was that I never got a chance to practice. Regular members knew, but visitors always came and complimented and encouraged.

Jen and her men said...

I had that calling for five years. I wish I could do it again. It was so scary at first, but then it becomes so easy and the best calling ever! I'd trade for that job any day! But I know what you mean. I felt the same way as RS Secretary. Nobody notices you until you screw up or go missing. Funny thing, huh?

Cami said...

I am always so thankful for my pianists no matter how well they play. (I'm always the chorister, but secretly, I wish I could hide behind the piano, but I'm scared to play.) I'm glad you feel like you're settling into it.