It never ceases to amaze me how different Christian is from his older brother and sister. By the time they were two, the pediatrician told me to limit Nicky and Andy's juice and snacks because they were chubby. Nicky could but look at a cracker and put on two pounds; she took after her mother. Andy was a fatty, roly poly who subsisted on love, air, cheerios, and breast milk until he was 18 months.
Yesterday at Christian's checkup, I was told to put him on daily Pediasure and put avocado in his whole milk. This because he's 33 inches (90 percentile) for height and 22 pounds (13 percentile) for weight. He lost a pound since his last visit. I feel guilty but the kid eats all the time...or at least I feel like I feed him all the time. I'm cleaning up enough messes and clothes as evidence.
Christian also got a referral for the speech therapist because my list of the three words he says failed to impress the doctor. The doctor checked out his legs and tacked on a referral to the therapist for walking. Though he took a couple of steps last week, he still mostly knee walks. I've tried to get a picture of this unusual walking but when Christian sees me with the camera, he won't perform. Just imagine his trunk upright and his knees posed for prayer. Then imagine the knees acting as feet as he walks to and fro. Dr. Del Mar had a laugh when I told him Christian only takes steps when nobody is looking and knee walks. Silly kid.
Christian has been speech therapied a bit in the car already. The other day we were driving and Christian was babbling and making a monkey howl sound. Nicky chastised him and said, "Christian! That's not how we talk. Nobody will understand you if you talk like that. You've got to make your voice go up and down like I do." So far no results from this mode of therapy. We'll see how the professionals do.
So though I can't report on many new words or skills (other than the knee walk), I can say Christian is my sweet blond baby doll. He loves to be steam rolled and laugh his head off. He can't get enough of Andy though Andy makes him cry and laugh in equal parts.
The kids were sitting at breakfast yesterday when I asked them how I got to be the mom of such cute faces. Between bites of waffle, Andy (4) said, "you laid your egg." I laughed my head off. So graphic! Especially for one who's never had "the talk."
4 comments:
Good egg-laying there, mama!
I love that Nicky is the speech therapist and I loved Andy's comment about you laying an egg :) I love the things that kids say!!
I'm surprised he's sending you to a speech therapist. The only verbal word that Evie says right now is MaaMaa. We did signs with our kids but none of them really said anything until they were 18 months. Good luck with everything. I totally miss hanging out with you. I haven't really found any close friends here yet.
Your kids are hilarious! I'm a little worried about Brady myself. He only takes a few steps at a time and still curls his toes under a lot of the time. He also only says Hi sometimes and not much else. It does make you worry when you know what your other kids did. People keep telling me that he is behind because he was early and i should go with his adjusted age, but seriously, he was 4 1/2 weeks early! That can't make that much of a difference. At his 15 mo. appt. he only weighed 20 1/2 lbs and the doctor said we would start to be concerned about walking if he isn't by the next appt. and have kids on the move stop by. it was weird because all this happened right after I got your email about Christian. I guess we'll see what happens. I'm trying not to get too panicy, but we'll just have to see what happens!
Post a Comment