Saturday, August 20, 2011

School: Triumphs and Traumas

Nicky and Andy started school last Wednesday. Andy is in "Foundations" which is part one of a two part Kindergarten program offered to the youngest kids like Andy who turn 5 in the Fall. Foundations is every day just like Kindergarten but they focus more on letters and allow the kids to mature another year. The Kindergarten is excellent at our school so I don't think Andy will mind having two years of fun whilst he learns to sit still.

Here's a shot of him blowing me kisses while going into his class for the first time. When he got out of school he had a huge smile and asked me if he could go back tomorrow. Both of us are as happy as can be. In fact, Andy doesn't want to miss next Friday for his Uncle Daniel's wedding in Lake Tahoe because he's afraid he'll miss something. He frowned when I told him about his future absence and asked sadly, "I wonder what they're going to do?"

Changes are always hard for Nicky. First grade is a doozie. There is no more rainbow rug. Snacks don't come from the Kindergarten cupboard but a smashed section of her backpack. Since she has to use a restroom outside of her classroom, she holds her pee the whole day. Given the onslaught of anxiety, I think the 1-6 playground must seem like the size of the Sahara to her. I visited the playground yesterday to see Nicky after lunch as recess is giving her an ulcer. I talked with her as she pressed her nose against her side of the chain link fence. I had the funny feeling I was visiting her in prison. There were ladies wearing orange and hoisting belts with walkie talkies. The only thing missing seemed to be the ribbons of barb wire on top of the chain link fence and the smell of cigarettes. Nicky spends 45 minutes every night ruminating over her school worries. One of those is that her teacher isn't out on the playground with her during recess. So yesterday I met the ladies in orange and had them introduce themselves to my girl. They were very nice and told her it was their job to keep her safe during recess. A friend found Nicky and I took off. I'm sure it is illegal in every way for me to be at the playground during school. Andy and I played Sorry at home and somehow got through the slow hours of 12-2 when Christian takes a nap and I think about how long the school day feels. It feels really long when someone might be suffering a few blocks away.

Here's a shot of Nicky talking to her teacher the first day. Despite some of the traumas, it is fun to get her perspective on the happenings at school. She tells me everything about the boy who got sent to the principal and how their is no gate around the playground anymore because, "I'm growin' up." (I guess the playground seems so big she hasn't noticed there is indeed a chain link fence.) Another funny was yesterday when she said, "I hate fun Fridays now because they make us do this thing called P.E."



Here are my two big kids who couldn't have had more different school experiences. Tomorrow I grab my 6th and 3rd grade neighbor girls and head over to the playground to have them teach Nicky some recess games since she claims, "I'm just not athletic so I don't play recess games." I guess we'll have to stay tuned and hope for quick adjustments.


3 comments:

KellyDiane said...

Loved hearing about Nicky's playdate, and having her tell me about her front tooth. Too precious. Very cute pictures.

Jennifer Wiegand said...

I wasn't thrilled to learn there was such a thing as "P.E." either! Too cute!

Lisa said...

Your kids are growing up so fast!!!