I feel so deeply about this autumn in Rocklin. We moved to Sacramento two years ago and living here has been a difficult adjustment for me. Maybe it's because San Diego was so easy to love with its mild temperatures, endless sun, and miles of majestic beaches. Loving Sacramento has come slowly and often painfully. What I've always liked best about Sacramento is the plethora of large trees. Summers are hot but fall lasts for a good three months and brings in the leaves of the trees a fire of oranges, reds, and yellows. I've been running for the last six months and started running outside three months ago. I go out in the early mornings and I find awe in the way the red and yellow leaves literally glow in the sunrise and light fog blankets the trees. Its hard not to love a place when in early morning solitude, you trace it's outlines with your feet. One of my friends took the next two pretty pictures in Rocklin recently.

I think of my mom when I see fall colors. She was an artist. Autumn leaves excited her like nothing else. If she didn't have her oil paints handy when she came upon a scene, she'd go ahead and mix up colors in her mind. One of her favorite places to paint was in a hollow of trees near our house in Highland. She called the place Iverson's Hollow because a family called Iverson lived near by. In the fall she'd head to Iverson's Hollow with her paint box, easle, and turpentine and sit for hours by herself or with her painting friends mixing and recreating on the canvas, wrapped in her happy artist's frenzy. Mom was always happiest with her colors and her paint brush. I believe in angels. My mom is an angel on earth but sometimes I think with longing that if she were a real angel she could be with me sometimes. This fall she found a way to be with me. When I'm out running I see the colors, her colors. I remember how happy fall made her and I literally feel wrapped in her arms as I run past each passionate color. How could I feel I am in any other place than at home? My mom who taught me to love nature's beauty seems so near.

I've been trying to teach my kids to appreciate beautiful things. One day this month we went to pick up the van from a tire rotation at Costco and we caught site of this double full rainbow. The kids were so excited. They talked so cute about gold at the end of the rainbow. Nicky begged me to get a picture and I tried with my cell phone but the light was wrong for me and then the rainbow was gone. One of my friends posted this picture of the same rainbow on Facebook so I stole it for this post. I believe nature's beauty is the way God says, "I'm here. Be happy. I love you." I feel happy to live in a place surrounded by so much love and beauty and I'm so thankful for this season.

I'm glad for friends who had their cameras handy and the talent to catch the moments I carry in my heart.
2 comments:
Beautiful...
Such a beautiful post that captures my thoughts on nature. I'm so glad you can appreciate all that's beautiful, for the memories it gives you of being with your Mom, and that you are teaching your children to appreciate those beauties also :)
Post a Comment