We have a little secret at our house. Without saying too much, we use our garage for things other than parking the car. OK, now that makes it sound like we keep a drug lab or harbor stolen Nazi artifacts. So I will just say we have a home office in the garage. I kept making Jeff laugh this week when I asked him what would happen if half our house burned down and exposed the garage in its entirety. He is on the HOA board and we couldn't stop laughing at what the fellow anal members would say as they walked past and discovered a large computer desk and an elliptical machine behind the charred remnants of our living room.
Really though, it is no laughing matter what happened to some of our fellow residents here. We are lucky to come home to our house. I feel bad for how miserable it must feel to have to go out and re buy and rebuild everything. To me, my house is like the fifth member of our family. It never feels quite the same when I am visiting someone else's house or staying in a hotel room. I love the comfy feeling of being in my home even when the carpet is a little dirty or the beds are not made. I like how the drawers hold all the things I need and I usually know where to find what I want. Our home is a small two bedroom condo, but it is where we make our memories and where we belong. I love how I can feel relaxed and safe when I come through the front door. It never felt as sweet as it did yesterday to come through that door and smell the stench of smoke but see our home intact. I am sorry for those who will have to wait many months to have that feeling again. It is strange how vulnerable we all our to whatever elements may pass our way.
2 comments:
I'm so glad your house is ok! I love being home too, it's such a relief to be around your own things and in a familiar place. I'm glad you were able to come home.
All of this makes you stop and realize how attached we are to things that can be gone in an instant. The whole time I was wondering if our house would burn and I tried convincing myself that they are just things but boy...we all breathed a happy sigh of relief to return to our "things" we call home. The boys just ran back and forth gleefully screaming after we got back.
Post a Comment