“I think of my own marriage. My eternal companion passed away three and a half years ago. But we lived together for 67 years. I have no recollection of ever having a quarrel with her.”
Holy Cow! Is the only thing I could think to myself when I read that! What am I to make of that? I love Jeff like no other man on this earth but sometimes, when the elements are just right, he can really tick me off. Did these people never have a bad day, sleepless nights with babies, and a husband working late for the 5th straight night in a row? Is it possible that since his wife has been dead for a few years, he is having a selective memory in a similar way that I have when I look back on vacations. When I look at my pictures from a trip, I only think of the good times. Or maybe it is just Jeff and I having a little argument from time to time and rest of you are polite and cheerful throughout all of life’s stresses. Or maybe you all just agree on everything or keep your mouth shut when you don’t. Maybe no one else out there has a bad hair day or a fat day and gets their feelings hurt when they take something their husband says wrong. Is this what we are striving for? Never having a quarrel in 67 years? Please tell me that Jeff and I aren’t keeping the rest of you in the church from being translated.
I'm not saying anything against President Hinckley's talk. He is an angel. I'm just wondering if I can live up to what seems like the marriage standard.
Ok, that is my rant for tonight and her is a cute pictures from the pumpkin patch yesterday.
5 comments:
I've heard of people saying they have never argued before and it is a big wonder to me. My theory is they are probably really amazing such as the Hinckleys or they are really busy people that don't see each other that much. At any rate, I don't fall under either category. I am an aspiring "slow to anger" sort of person.
and your pumpkin shot is so cute! I love pumpkin patches!!
I think the key word is "recollect" here. Or maybe they were good at talking things out. Doesn't mean they didn't disagree. You never know though. It was the times. Women just didn't stand up for themselves a lot of time (not that I'm saying anything about their own marriage).
Jake and I argue. Not a lot, but we do. There have been yelling matches. But people have different kinds of marriages. I remember back at NACT when some guy laughed at me for saying I would never lie to my husband. He said he wanted to talk to me in 4 years and then I'd see how it had changed. Well, we're going on 8, and I still haven't ever lied to (or kept anything from)my husband. So you see, everyone has differences, good and bad, in their marriages. Do what works for you.
I say argue it keeps things interesting!! Besides this is real life we are talking about not some fantasy island "The plane, the plane."
Love you guys!!
Girl, I don't know if there is anyone out that that hasn't had an argument with their husband. It's hard not to when you have 2 different people combining basically in a way as one. Your gonna argue!! I don't think that we keep those negative thoughts in the back of our minds. The only thoughts that we really want to keep and cheerish are the fun times we have together. I always remember my dad saying, that us kids would never remember how hard he had to work to support the family, all we would remember are the fun memories that we had of being together as a family. Which is so true... of course I remember him working hard but I remember more so all the fun family vacations that we spent with each other.
Post a Comment