Sunday, November 18, 2007

Bye Bye Binkya

All of us are feeling a little teary today. Today was the day Nicky had to relinquish her beloved binkya forever. Last week at the dentist, we were told it had not been enough to get Nicky to use the pacifier just at night. Her mouth was much more distorted with over and under bites. I think it is because she sucks on it so powerfully at night. Anyway, I told her today we were gathering all the binkyas and taking them to my visiting teacher's new baby because babies get sad and they need them.


At first she was a little sad.


Then she was a little excited to be doing something nice.

After we left the binkies with the baby. Nicky said, "bye bye binkya" in the saddest little voice you can imagine. In the car she broke down and cried for it. I feel really bad. I can't even look at these pictures without getting teary. It is one thing to hear your kids cry when they need to go to bed but it is another to hear them cry for something that they really love and that makes them feel safe and secure. I hope we have done the right thing. I kept thinking about head gear, etc. and it was enough motivation but we all feel sad.



In happier news, here is a cute picture of the kids in holiday wear. Thanks to cousins Emma and Anthony for the hand me downs.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, those pictures of nicky make me sad...but I think some of the procedures for fixing malocclusion are much more sad...so you did the right thing of course!

I can't believe how old Andy and Nicky are getting...I'm so excited to finally get to see you all this week!

Krustee said...

okay, that makes me weepy. What a brave nice girl Nicky is to have cooperated. She is so sweet. I hope the dentist doesn't tell me I have to get rid of Kedrick's thumb.

Kimberly said...

That was such a clever idea! Poor Nicky...that was so sweet of her to give her binkies to the baby. I can just imagine how that must have torn at your heart strings as you drove away and she started to cry.

Cami said...

It is rather heart-breaking, but I'm sure she'll get over it soon. She had to let go sometime.

Ethan still has his at night . . . I'm going to have to do something about that very soon.

heather peck said...

Oh, that is so hard! But the thing you have going for you, is you can take a binki away....Sadie sucks her thumb and Zoe sucks her fingers...you are lucky! I told Chris the other day we need to start saving up for the dental work that lies ahead for our family!

Amber said...

Ally and Jillian both sucked their thumb until they were 3 or so. I was starting to get worried, but they both quit without too much trouble. Ally coundn't find her teetee(blankie) the other day. She was so sad and said "It just doesn't make any sense" since she had it the night before. It is hard to watch their sadnesses.