I ran in Oma’s Pumpkin Patch 5k today. It was the first 5k I’ve done since 1999. A few months ago I decided it was time to get back in shape since having a knee surgery and two babies. So I have been training for today’s big race. Unfortunately, Andy has been a naughty napper ever since our Florida trip, ear infection, and evacuation screwed up his sleeping schedule. Therefore, he was sentenced to house arrest until he can successfully complete all of his sleeping in his crib. Yesterday he didn’t nap at all and cried for two nap periods. Today he went right down for Jeff. Go figure. So anyway, Nicky came with me to run the 5k. I was thinking it would be a paved road to run on but it ended up being more like off-roading. Nicky’s old green baby stroller is the only one we have tall enough to run with but it is no Range Rover. Oma’s 5k track was all rock, mud, and dirt with some tractor rivulets of muddy water. So Nicky and I were in between the runners and the walkers. People passing by would cheer us on with, “Keep goings,” “hurray Mom,” etc. I was the only one with a stroller. It made me smile all their cheers and uplifting shouts. I never stopped running but it was a little slower than I normally run. We finished in 40 minutes 13 seconds. Hurray for being physically fit again with or without a stroller. I’m going to do the Turkey Trot 5k on Thanksgiving and see what my time will be without a stroller.
Here are some pictures. I’m a little hesitant to put such horrible pictures of myself up but oh well. Normally my hair isn’t greasy and I do wear makeup but here we are:
Here are some pictures. I’m a little hesitant to put such horrible pictures of myself up but oh well. Normally my hair isn’t greasy and I do wear makeup but here we are:
Before the race, it was a little chilly and Nicky was still trying to wake up. We were numbers 140 and 141, respectively.
7 comments:
YOU GO GIRL !! THAT'S AWESOME !!
I think that's so funny that you ran with nicky!!! Adorable pictures!!!
I totally forgot about the 5K! I wanted to run it with you...I am so proud of you! That's actually pretty fast considering you were pushing a stroller and all. I was wondering where you were at church today, but the "house arrest" makes sense. I don't blame you. Babies aren't the only ones who are crabby when they don't get their sleep. I hope he gets back on schedule soon!
Awesome!! That's great. I have yet to EVER run a 5K. How sad for me.
I hope the sleeping schedule gets worked out. How I hate that.
good luck with the sleep schedule! I always think people running with children look heroic.
Hey Girl! I got your blog comment, and that sounds so fun to see you guys! And I too am proud of you for running with Nicky, I have never ran with my kids, that is an awesome idea!
You are awesome! I love a good 5K but I think it is so much harder pushing a stroller--especially in mud and such. I've never done one while pushing a baby, but Melody said it is way different. Anyway, congrats!
Post a Comment