A year later, Andy is not the quiet newborn anymore. He is still mellow but he is developing a little personality. I was telling one of my friends that I felt sad that I am not as excited for Andy’s milestones as I was for Nicky’s. I call it the second child syndrome. I find myself still more excited with Nicky not because I like her more, but because she is the older child always doing the "new" thing. I seem to forget how old Andy is and what he should be doing. I don’t think we have as many pictures of him and I didn’t even let him sit with Santa at our ward Christmas party. I just figured he wouldn’t like it. Now I feel sad that he didn’t even get a chance at the picture, with a crying face or otherwise.
So I am taking the opportunity to remember a few of our favorite things about Andy. He has always been really snuggly and only started moving around 10 months. I think it was because he was so content being held and maybe he felt safer because Nicky desires to rough him up when he is within range on the floor. He still likes to snuggle. He loves to sit with me and put his head against my chest and watch TV. He loves TV and will watch anything we are watching. We don’t watch all the time but he is up for it whenever it is on. He makes kissy sounds with his mouth in the morning and I know he wants some smoochies on his big soft cheeks.Andy loves to go outside and to the park especially. He says the word, go in such a cute way. He has such a husky boy voice and he says, “GOOOO” while he is climbing up the stairs and while he goes down the slide. When we get home from the park, Andy likes to ring the doorbell before we go in. If we don’t let him, he gets really mad.
Every morning he likes to get in bed beside his daddy and play jungle gym with Jeff’s body. He will climb under and over anything that he can and he likes to get up in Jeff’s face and make noises.
Andy has just started standing by himself and making attempts at walking. He has taken a couple of steps but has not mastered the concept. I think his present to us for Christmas will be that he will be an upright boy and moving on his feet. I am a little sad to let my baby go but excited to see our “Big Boy” be a real big boy.
As I contemplate our second Christmas with Andy, I no longer have the newborn to remind me of Jesus. However, I have the hope in my heart that during Andy's life he can remind those he is close with of the Savior through his choices, actions, and kindness. I know that is every mother's hope for her child and that is my hope for my Big Boy.
8 comments:
Oh the growing up. Good and bad always. What a cute kid he is though.
You had me a little confused with that first picture posted...I was thinking wow, Andy shrunk since last I saw him...Haha, old picture. He is so adorable, and I love those chubby cheeks!!!
By the way, I do read your blog...I just look at the pictures first...hence being a little confused by the "tiny" picture of andy :)
He does have a very sweet disposition. I always miss the kids when they are little, but it is fun to watch them play their games and got to dance recitals etc. I guess there are fun parts to every stage, I just miss that baby smell!!!!!
This was such a beautiful post about Andy. It made me want to write a tribute to my kids instead of complain or make fun of their quirks. You are such a good mother.
My first Christmas, with Luke, I would get all teary as I would rock him and sing him christmas hymns before bed. I can't believe how big Andy has gotten...he really is your "Big Boy" now! By the way, I didn't get your email that you sent...send it again! I hope you're having a great time up north with family! I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back!
Love your Andy tribute. He has such a sweet personality! So fun to watch them start walking but like every milestone I always weep, can't help it...I miss my babies.
So sweet, I am so excited to see him when we visit, or you visit!
Post a Comment