Sunday, May 18, 2008

No, I Amen't

It was our hope to recover from our Hawaii-induced sleep deprivation at home. Our hopes were dashed when Andy came home with a nasty ear infection. His sleep is so messed up that he wakes every night at 11 p.m. and insists on watching "Dogs and Cats" until 2 or 3 in the morning. I sleep on the couch and rewind the movie and get him "crackas" and grab him a drink every time he whines for one in the kitchen. We had two visits to Dr. Ou this week and she tells me to be more patient and give him time before I throw him back in his crib at night and shut the door. He is so cute so I try to be nice in the middle of the night. But dang, I am getting so tired. I try to remember what it was like to get full nights of rest but the memory is so faded. Good thing these kids have the cutest faces and smooshy cheeks. They are very worth the exhaustion.

Nicky continues to make me laugh with her sayings. We talk about her growing bigger a lot and I tell her to stop all the growing. She says, "No, I want to grow bigger. But I will still be your Nicky." Then she give me a big hug.

I asked her one day if she would let me take care of her babies for her when she is a mommy. In typical Nicky fashion she said, "No, I want to do it all by myself." Today I asked her again on the way to church because her response strikes me as so hilarious. She said, "No I want to do it all by myself but you can change the poopy diaper because I'm too little." Then Jeff joined in.

Daddy: "Nicky, can I help with the babies."

Nicky: "You can help with the poopy diapers too."

Now for the last Nicky funny:

I guess since I was an English major, Nicky's use of English amuses me. I have to admit she does follow the logic from what she hears but since the rules of grammar are irregular, she makes some funny mistakes. I asked her if she was ready the other day and she says, "No, I amen't (for No, I'm not). I thought that was such a funny and cute contraction that I would like to use it myself. Too bad it isn't in general use.

4 comments:

Cami said...

Man, those dang ear infections from plane rides are one of the reasons I totally stopped taking my kids on trips. I hate it. But I always say, they are as cute as they are hard--so the cuter they are the harder they are. I hope he feels better soon!

KellyDiane said...

So he's moved onto a new movie eh...I haven't seen that one in a while. I remember you introduced it to me and I loved it..if I'm thinking of the correct one?Favorite quotes..."why? because I hate you" and "From Russia with love" I'm sure you have the whole movie memorized from watching it every single night...wow, that would get old! They are too cute though,I love "amen't"...although it's very tricky to say!!! Very cute.

Kimberly said...

Devons mom always shares a classic story of his younger sister doing the same thing and watching Winnie the Pooh over and over again. I don't know how you do it. I need my sleep and without it I am a mess! I hope things turn around soon. But, you're right. Those chubby cheeks and sweet moments make this journey in our lives so worth it!

Krustee said...

Ok, I know I already said this but I am horrified at the recent eruption of sleeping issues. I hope things quickly return to normal!! Nicky's comment about how she is going to grow up but will always be your Nicky totally made me cry. We wait and wait and wait for our precious little ones and then watch them slowly be torn away from us as they grow up. Okay, I know that is the totally wrong attitude and I really do like seeing them learn and do new things but it always makes me sad at the same time. Your kids are so sweet!