Sunday, May 9, 2010

Sees Should be Shared

I did well focusing on my own motherhood instead of my mother this morning until they handed out the Sees chocolate. I didn't know it was Sees until I peeled off the Rocklin 3rd Ward love note that was folded around the bar. Then, there it was! My mother's favorite candy. How I wished I could break off half for her and sit and eat it together. It'd be better for my waistline and for the missing.

I couldn't help crying as I drove home from church. I wondered, what I could give that dear sweet woman who doesn't know me for Mother's Day? I thought about what my children could give me that would mean the most. If they grow up with a testimony, I'll count myself blessed. I'm working on something amazing right now. When I receive my Young Woman Medallion, I'm going to put it in a frame and hang it on the wall over my mom's bed. She won't know what the hell it's for or who it's from but I hope one day she'll be proud. For Mother's Day, I gift my mom with a dedication to her of all that is good in me. I will continue to honor her with the good things I do and blame myself for the rest. I miss you Mom. It'd sure be nice to smell your perfume and hear you laugh. I love you so.

Jeff and the kids made it a wonderful Mother's Day for me. They've actually been wonderful for the last three days since I sprained my lower back and have been walking around like I just had an enema. I can't bend at the waist either. Today I was given flowers, pictures from Nicky and Andy, chocolate strawberries, a love note from Jeff, and this small token:
It's a beautiful piece of equipment, n'est pas? (I don't know where the French is coming from.) This lovely Yamaha Clavinova came to us almost as a gift from the universe in response to my long-standing, unspoken longing. I haven't played regularly for almost 15 years. In the last week I've practiced the primary song, "I Know that My Savior Loves Me." I must be ok because my neighbor asked if I was playing the piano and told me how beautiful I sounded. Playing the piano is sort of like reading, typing, feeling, listening, and speaking another language. It takes lots of practicing and annoys your family. Luckily you can attach head phones to this baby. I'll dedicate all my piano playing to my mom while I'm gifting her pretty things. She paid for all my lessons and put up with me not practicing. I'll practice now!

Lastly, I'm thankful for other mothers who have touched my life. My mother-in-law comes to mind. She likes Jeff more than me, as it should be. But I think she likes me quite a bit too. I'm thankful that she has made me part of their family. I'm glad she raised a sensitive, sweet son who is my husband and father of my babies. She is such a blessing to us. I love to hear Jeff talking to her on the phone and I feel glad he is blessed with a healthy mother. She did all the hard work and then handed him over. She is also a wonderful grandmother to my kids too. She's the best!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Melissa, this was a beautiful post and tribute to you as a Mother, your Mother & your Mother-in-law. So glad you have a piano. Some day I would love to learn.

SuburbiaMom said...

One day your mother will remember you again...and one day you two will have a glorious reunion...

Have fun with the piano! The earphones are a plus--unless of course you sing along ;)!

Kimberly said...

That was a really sweet post! I'm sorry your mothers day was bitter sweet. I'm super jealous of your piano...that is so cool!