Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Christian's Chronicles


This last week there was further investigations into why our Christian speaks few words. He had his hearing test and failed. The ear drum vibration test revealed his ear drums aren't functioning because of fluid buildup. I'd been told to do ear tubes last August because he'd had seven or eight ear infections but then the infections suddenly stopped so I stopped going to the ENT. Boy did I get in trouble from Dr. Ow for that decision. "We should have been monitoring this for months!" he said in his most exacerbated tone. So basically the doctor said he must have the ear tubes to hear and thus begin to speak for us. He gets them in two weeks.
So you'd think a week couldn't get any worse for a plugged-eared baby that hears sounds like he's under water, but it did. Friday night Christian went to Chuckee Cheese with his siblings, Uncle Daniel and future aunt. He'd had a cold for a few days but nothing serious. However upon return from Chuckees things had degenerated for the poor guy. He was coughing, sputtering, gagging, and the skin around his ribs was pulling in with each breath. We had a little dinner party going on so I tried not to make too much of a scene by pulling out the nebulizer. (How does that not make a scene?) When everyone left I called the doctor and told him the treatment I gave hadn't worked but was there anything that would get us through the night. He instructed to go the ER; my worst fear. Christian and I arrived at 10 p.m. to find the ER waiting room filled to capacity. People were standing, sitting on the floor, and dozing to the sounds of vomiting and coughing. Christian was assessed and found healthy enough to wait for four hours coughing and gasping for air. By three in the morning he'd finally been nebulized twice, given a steroid, and cleared of having RSV or pneumonia. We got to go home, yeah!! Why do such episodes happen on a weekend night?
The last few nights my silent friend hasn't been sleeping much thanks to revving of the heart created by the every four hour doses of Xopenex.
The last concerning item is Christian's non-enthusiasm for walking. This week he'll turn 16 months. He does his walker sometimes but he's more content to crawl and climb. I remember Nicky and Andy WANTING to walk like they were possessed. I feel a little worried about our guy. Something doesn't seem quite right but can't put my finger on what. Time will tell I suppose.
Some cute things he does are blow kisses, wave and jabber as people come and go, snuggle with Nicky and Andy, and laugh his head off when tickled or when something catches him as funny.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Do you think the walking thing could be related to his ears? You know equilibrium? I don't know....just a thought. Sarah didn't talk and had fluid also. We didn't discover hers until kindergarten if that makes you feel any better. She had her surgery during Christmas break of kindergarten and has worked so hard ever since then. I am so proud of her.

SuburbiaMom said...

My niece didn't speak until she got ear tubes. Maybe Lisa's right with the walking thing and ears/balance?

Good luck with everything!

Emily said...

Poor baby! I cannot believe your ER experience. A tired, wheezing baby, among those sick people for all those hours?! My doctor says that wheezing babies go straight to the front of the line. I hate the ER.

I hope he starts feeling much better soon, and that his ear problems get resolved. For your sake, as well as his. He's such a darling little boy.

Sam and Bria said...

Wow, that is soo crazy. Hopefully next week will be better. My friend in texas had four kids with tubes, but they didn't need them once they got older. Miss you guys.

Sharon Fairbourn and family said...

My twins were born early. One seemed to do fine developmentally. He walked just after one talked a little late, but not too much. Smiled at 3 months. The other didn't smile until almost 5 months, walked at 18 months and didn't say a word utnil he was 2. It was hard not compare the two and hard not to worry about the one. He does really well now, but there are still developmental differences. I have had to work really hard to compare each only to themselves. One can write his name now, but the other can't. However the one that can't worked really hard to write, what he considers his name, on all 34 valentine cards. The one who can write his name quit at 16. They each have their own strengths.
However after having said all that, you are the mom if you feel somethings wrong, you would know, listen to your instincts.