
I think I just answered my own question with the sacrilege that is the title of this post. There should be no such thing as a Sacrament meeting snack, that is, unless you are a kid. In many a mind, mine included, keeping a child quiet trumps the irreverence of bringing food into a sacred meeting place. So the question I raise is what is the appropriate food? Cheerios and their cousins Fruit Loops and Captain Crunch seem acceptable to the majority. However, these cereals are pesky when the baby dumps the baggy. Cheerios especially tend to roll in all directions and inevitably find their way under Andy's dressy loafers before I can pick them up. This leaves us with a million crumbs to retrieve with frantic, guilty fingers because, surprise, my enormous church bag cannot hold a Dirt Devil.
I've tried Tic Tacs. They're fine until they're half eaten and the leftovers in the plastic container make a loud rattle.
Last Sunday I had a brilliant solution. I packed fresh blueberries. They're healthy, tiny, don't crunch, don't rattle and don't crumble. If they fall victim to a loafer, burberry tends to repel their mush which is easy to get with a wipe.
So why when I pulled them out to give to the kids did I get looked at in the same way I would if I'd pulled out a double decker chocolate ice cream cone in the middle of Sacrament meeting? Help me out here...was I totally out of line? What other options are out there? Cheerios are not working for me.
6 comments:
I've never thought it wrong to bring discreet snacks to church. Of course, some people do go a little overboard, but form the sound of things, that isn't you at all. I probably do a little too much with small cheese stick and pretzels. They last longer, so I don't have to keep handing them out, and the kids are quiet as mice (for a short time anyway). I do have to do a little clean up after, but they seems to be a Sac. staple for us. Especially with it being the kids's snack time, we needed something more substantial than cheerios. I've seems a friend give her daughter a tupperware of red pepper pieces. Not sure that would go over well with my kids.
Maybe they were nervous because blueberries stain? A piece of bread seems simple and not as crummy as crackers and cereal. Perhaps a cheese stick, too? I don't think any snack is 100% easy to pull off, but I'd rather have quiet kids making a quiet mess than noisy ones disrupting the meeting :).
Haha I've never heard of anyone taking blueberries to church before. That seems like it would get messy? I think you should just whip up some sandwiches, take chips and have a little picnic each week...
I've never had a problem with fresh blueberries staining. The frozen ones get messy I know. Or, maybe the kids' clothes are so stained anyway, I just don't notice.
I agree with Kiersten's comment.
fruit snacks. they're a little sticky if they come OUT of the mouth, but otherwise just fine. Or raisins.
In MD, no food was allowed in the entire church except the mother's room or kitchen. So there were no sacrament snacks unless we took our kids out. Lame. You've gotta have snacks.
Post a Comment