Friday, May 6, 2011

Mother's Day Makeover

Nicky's Kindergarten teacher invited all the moms to come into class today for a Mother's Day makeover. When I came in the room, the kids were at recess and the moms were each seated next to a plate. The kids had prepared each plate with a comb, butterfly clips, a dab of hand cream, lipstick, and some cotton balls for makeup application.

The kids came in soon after the moms were seated and sang to us some songs about apple trees growing bigger with their branches extending and little hands changing the world. There was also a slide show with snapshots from the year. All this sentimental stuff had my tears rolling. I couldn't help but think back to when I was pregnant with Nicky or when she was a little toddler driving me nuts with tantrums and wearing her ugly "pretty shirt" every day. It all seems like yesterday and now she is a big elementary school girl. Her whole face lights up anytime I am in her class for any reason. She acts so shy in a cute way at school. Like she is totally reserved but she doesn't let it get in the way of getting what she wants. She loves to learn and loves her class. She's already been crying about moving on to 1st grade. Is it just me or does each year seem to be going by faster?

I loved letting Nicky put on my blush and eye shadow. She got it on nice and thick and got plenty of lipstick on my teeth. She loved the butterfly clips the most and told me I had to wear them the whole day. So I went to Safeway and the Jabber Gym (for Christian's therapy) with blue metallic butterfly clips on. The front desk lady at Jabber Gym said something like, "sometimes you're just in a hurry and grab something" when she saw my clips. I had a laugh that she thought I'd wear something like that on my own free will. I explained they were a gift from the Kindergarten makeover and I wasn't allowed to take them off.

I also got a book from Nicky for Mother's Day that she made with her class. Inside she says she likes to go shopping with me and feels special when I buy her something. Geesh! And I thought maybe I could go one day without feeling guilty for something. Seems we're a little materialistic around here. Gotta do something about that.

3 comments:

KellyDiane said...

hahahaha those butterfly clips kill me. I can't believe you wore them the rest of the day. Can't stop laughing!

SuburbiaMom said...

What a fun idea! I love it and you look beautiful, as usual, butterfly clips and all!

Lisa said...

What a fun idea!!