I haven't updated my blog regarding Christian in forever. Alta Regional (California's early intervention program) added him in April. This was such good news as I was driving him an hour and a half round trip to Folsom three times a week for therapy through our private insurance. Now we go to the Jabber Gym in
Roseville which is only 10 minutes each way. LOVE IT!!! The building is new and the therapists are fantastic. Christian gets four different therapies, physical, speech, occupational, and what they call
IDP (infant development). His problems stem from low muscle tone. The neurologist tells me that on some premature babies, the white matter in their brains doesn't form all the way. So Christian will work hard to find new pathways through his brain and to catch up. Right now he's at about a 25% delay overall compared with other children his age.

Here are some pics from Jabber Gym at a physical therapy session. Basically they make working really hard seem fun. In this shot he's going through a tunnel over bean bags.

Christian has a hard time sitting up without W sitting or in this picture he's got his hands down to support himself. The therapist was trying to get him to sit on his bottom and
stabilize himself while she moved the swing. He wasn't having it.

We're really thankful Christian is having all this good early therapy. He's picking up the sign language and a few words they've taught him already. On Sunday the Sacrament tray passed by us after he'd had a piece of bread and he frantically made the sign for more. Jeff and I tried not to laugh too hard. He's a cute little bug. He's walking so well I'm forgetting how upset I was that he wasn't walking last month.
3 comments:
He's adorable. We are blessed to live in a day and age where a diagnosis can be made early and treatment started. Just look...my Sarah will be off to college shortly and there were people who wondered if that would ever happen when she was diagnosed in kindergarten. You're a good Mom Melissa and Christian is going to do so well because of you!!
Yeah! I am glad he is doing so well and that you are getting such good help! This brings back so many memories. Bailey still uses the therapy swing at school. Isn't it nice to see how much fun they have at therapy!! Keep up the good work!
I'm sooo glad you were able to get him into the program. I can't believe how big he looks in all these pictures. It seems like just yesterday that they were newborns. Evie still only says about three words and signs everything else. If you are doing sign language you should look into the signing time videos. I've used them with all of my kids and they picked up a lot of words from them. Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks.
Post a Comment