Thursday, May 22, 2008

Three Year Old Versions

There has been a lot of religiousness on my mind lately because I have been making an effort to teach Nicky religion. Our latest subject has been Joseph Smith. Like other stories from the life of Jesus or the Book of Mormon, I have left out certain events or other scary parts. Can someone please tell me when the right age is where it is appropriate to talk about tar and feathering, crucifixion, death by fire, martyrdom, etc.? These are important parts of the stories but they seem so traumatic. At what age can children understand these things?

Anyhow, this week I told Nicky about the First Vision. After telling this story to her, I kept thinking about the event. I sort of laughed because I wondered to myself if Joseph ever wished he hadn't asked his famous question. "Which of all the churches is true?" My word did he get an answer. I think he was looking for something more along the lines of, "the Presbyterians have it right. Join them on Sunday."

I feel such a connection with Joseph Smith and the story of the First Vision. I think it is because I too believe that God answers prayers. I've had a ton answered. A lot of people I meet often say that they don't think one church is true. To me it makes sense that there is one true one. Each day I notice the beautiful world, the simple and big creations, the gift of having a body and a life, my little family. Wouldn't a God that was able to make all of this be able to direct us in which path was best? And if the true church didn't exist, as it did not in Joseph time, wouldn't He have power to bring it back?

I love that God answered the prayer of this sweet and pure boy. I am so glad that Joseph had the integrity to live with the answers and commandments he was given and never look back. He had many miserable moments in his life because he stuck with what he knew was true. In the end his life was taken but his legacy was that he never denied his testimony. I only hope that I can further in my life what he brought back to this world with his simple prayer in the grove of trees.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What a good mom you are...I'm always amazed at how fast kids grasp concepts and remember things!

KellyDiane said...

I agree! I didn't gain a true testimony of Joseph Smith until my senior year D&C seminary class. It was renewed last year going to palmyra and walking through the sacred grove. Anyway, I can't really see this blog cause I just had my eyes dialated for my eye exam...hope this is readable :)

Kimberly said...

"Oh my word" is right! I think you're taking the right approach to teaching things simple first. Is Nicky feeling better? No scrammbled brain, right?

Tammy said...

Hmmm that is tough. I too struggle with that. I keep things simple but then Emma asks detailed questions and there is no avoiding telling more. I think some of it freaks her out so not sure at what point to go into more detail. I figure the teachers at church can do it in their lessons when it is time. We read a lot of books about church stuff so maybe that helps?

Tammy said...

Hmmm that is tough. I too struggle with that. I keep things simple but then Emma asks detailed questions and there is no avoiding telling more. I think some of it freaks her out so not sure at what point to go into more detail. I figure the teachers at church can do it in their lessons when it is time. We read a lot of books about church stuff so maybe that helps?

Krustee said...

It is such a challenge to figure out how to teach them the various things. I try to keep things real simple but sometimes Kedrick just looks at me cuz my simplified versions seem to be missing stuff. I have a nephew who took to the Book of Mormon at quite a young age (I think he was around 3)primarily because of the action and violence content. Perhaps I should stop watering things down for Kedrick. I'm afraid he'll go around pretending to chop off heads at the playground and claim he is Nephi.