I love the memories at Jeff's house because they are part of him, his history. Since Jeff is deeply connected with me, I am comforted by the sameness of his home. Bankruptcy, rifts, divorce, and Alzheimers have taken my tangible history and sameness. At times I've felt the part of an orphan or gypsy. I've felt I have little history to offer my husband or children.
Sometimes I will literally ache to take Nicky's hand and run through the fields of my childhood home. I want to play hide and seek in the corn fields. Those fields now hold hundreds of new homes, a church, and even an elementary school. I want to run up snow drifts in my back yard, pick raspberries, and climb the same trees all with her. I want Nicky and Andy to be a part of my history in the same way they become part of Jeff's when they visit his home or when his parent's take them in their arms.
Does it sound like I am sad? For the most part I'm not. I am at peace with loss because I have gained so much. Do most people's parents still live married in their childhood home? Chances are most do not. Though I count Jeff and those like him lucky.
My mind wanders and wonders how I might give my children my history without anything physical to whisper the memories. I will have to write them some stories. Hopefully I will write them well enough that they can get lost in my corn fields, smell my mother's favorite pillow or her oil paints, and watch my father garden and swear while he fixes broken sprinkler pipes, all with their imagination.
Nicky plays in the Camacho's back yard.
6 comments:
It's true. Things have changed so much. I was really excited to show Jake my grandparents house so I could show him all the things from my childhood that have never changed. My house is a lot different, and I never stayed in the same room, so it was a little different there, and like you said, all the fields are gone.
Well, Melissa, just reading your post took me to that place where your husband grew up so I'm sure you can do the same for your children. But that is pretty awesome for your children to see that first hand. I bet they'll never forget it. I know I'll never forget my grandma's house and the stories she told me of my mom growing up there.
You are such a good writer! I've driven by the house we grew up in (in Utah before moving to California) several times. It definitely doesn't feel the same!
I know what you mean. Both of our parents no longer live in their homes that we grew up in.
You are such a good writer...I love reading your posts!
Okay, so this post made my eyes well up with tears! I've had the same thoughts lately, mostly that I would love to be somewhere familiar...what is it about change? I feel without that familiarity I'm always a vagabond of sorts.
this is beautiful. Your kids are lucky to have such a wonderful writer in their mother! There is something so comforting in returning to the familiar, hey I wonder if that is what it will feel like when we go to the other side?
Post a Comment