Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Friends That Matter

The other night I was putting Nicky to bed and I decided to tell her that the Dowdells are moving to Utah. I didn't know if she would understand the concept of moving but I told her anyway. Keep in mind that Nicky LOVES Luke. He makes her laugh harder than anyone else because he is "crazy" as she calls it.

Nicky asked, "Are they moving to Utah to be with the snowballs?"

"Yes."

"Will they be coming back home?"

"No."

Suddenly her eyes became very deep with pain. I've never seen that look before. Things must have registered and she let out a howl. She cried, "Oh, I want Luke. I want to move to Utah." I started crying too and told her that it is very sad to lose good friends. Then I reminded her that Kedrick, Reagan, and some of her other friends will still be around and this quieted her as well as the reassurance that we would visit Utah and make snowballs with the Dowdells.

It has been so neat to get to know Kimberly and her family over the past couple of years. Kimberly is the type of person that everyone wants as a friend. She has great stories and relates to things you tell her. She is so kind and sensitive. Kimberly has been an answer to my prayers in many ways. When we first moved here I didn't have a lot of friends and prayed to find more. Kimberly was always hanging out in nursery with her husband and I was always hanging with for Nicky in the beginning. Since then there has been dinner nights, park days, pilates classes, pool times, etc. I don't know what we will do without the Dowdells around. There is a painful sadness in my heart. Good friends are not easy to come by. I hope we always keep in touch. Goodluck hanging with the snowballs. You will be missed.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

You've been such a good friend to Kimberly....that means a lot to me, too! Thank goodness for blogging...you'll know exactly what's going on in each other's lives, and then when you come to Utah to make snowballs, you'll pick right up where you left off! And yes, Luke is CRAZY!

Cami said...

Oh, this is my MAIN fear if we move away. Our friends here may as well be siblings to my children. They get a little upset if they haven't seen each other for a couple days. I actually have had nightmares about telling Jefferson that we won't see his best friend anymore. But, if that happens, at least we'll be moving and it will be a new adventure. If they leave before us, MAN!

myspoileddogs said...

Maybe Nicki is right and you should move to utah! ;)

Hope I get to see you guys while you are here this weekend!!

myspoileddogs said...

Maybe Nicki is right and you should move to utah! ;)

Hope I get to see you guys while you are here this weekend!!

Kimberly said...

Oh my gosh, you made me cry!! I was really holding back the tears, the other day, when I left your house. You and your family have really touched my heart. We have had so many good times together laughing and talking! I think the word "friendship" in the dictionary should have your picture next to it because you are everything a friend should be. We will miss you so much! Now, every time we make a snowball we will think of Nicky. In fact, we will have to make a nicky snow girl in her honor. What else can I say...I love you and will miss you, but we WILL keep in touch. Thank goodness for texting, emailing, cell phones, blogs, etc. One of these days we will have to meet you guys in Vegas...hee hee! Okay, do you think I've said enough yet? Talk to you soon!

KellyDiane said...

That's very sad! I'm the worst with saying goodbye! Hope you guys are having fun in Utah! I'm really sad I can't be there! I got your message yesterday. I'll chat with you soon!

Tribe M said...

That is so hard for you guys. BTW, great job on counting those calories. You look great! Lance said, "Who's the hottie!" Was it easier after breastfeeding for you? Jackson just turned one and I am so ready to be done. Is Pamela pregnant?! I laughed and cried for you over the spilled rootbeer. What a mess! Your kids are adorable trying to help clean up.

Krustee said...

oh this is soo sad. Nicky is so sweet and I am so impressed by her depth of understanding. San Diego will not be the same without the Dowdells around.