Monday, March 16, 2009

Down with my Back

Whenever we'd visit my Grandma Peck she would quite often mention that my Uncle Earl was, "down with his back." He was a dairy farmer and I guess he was always throwing his back out (whatever that means) doing manual labor stuff. My grandpa or others would have to fill in for him while he rested his back for week and then he'd be back at it until another semi-annual "down with his back" episode. I thought the whole thing was mysterious and boring at the same time. Back problems were for the ancient and I was young and unbreakable.

How strange that age creeps up so quickly and suddenly, I am the one down with my back. My brother Todd introduced me to P90X and my new boyfriend Tony Horton. We spent all last week together doing pushups, Kenpo, Yoga, Plyometrics, etc. He's interested in getting me toned and taut for summer. Unfortunately during the Kenpo back karate kicks on Saturday, my never before heard from lower back made strange protests. I modified and thought I was ok until yesterday when I stooped to retrieve a kiddie shoe. Not good. Let's just say that since that moment I've been denied access to my middle hinge. I can't bend to get anything without excruciating pain. I guess it makes for funny moments. If you look my way and I drop something, you can see me gingerly stooping at the knees and swooshing my arm down to retrieve. Oh when did I get old? I feel like Alice from the Brady Bunch in the Hawaii episode where she attempts to hula and throws out her back. How terrible to have to associate with that image! I hope this back issue resolves. I hate being mannequin woman and I miss Tony. Who wouldn't?


6 comments:

Cami said...

I'm going to be intimate with Tony soon. :)

Sorry about your back. I already have back issues--ever since Jeffy. I wonder what this intense workout will do to me, but oh well. Good luck getting better.

KellyDiane said...

Sorry you are injured. I hate when my body hurts anywhere other than my expected knee. I personally thought Tony was annoying at first, but he grew on me! He is eye candy. Today I was doing the arm workout--the one thing I had to look forward to in this life :) and my upper back feels not quite right. I think it's all those nine hundred "downward doggies" from yoga. I would suspect maybe yoga killed you as well?

KellyDiane said...

of course many will argue that yoga is supposed to help those sorts of things...but I tell ya!

youngsters said...

i have heard so much about that workout! i'll have to give it a try..maybe. the back might be the worst spot to tweak!

Skinner Family said...

Hope your back feels better. I have wondered if that work out was worth buying. I have the Slim in 6 workout and used it A LOT! A little repetitive, but a great workout. I will have to give Tony a try sometime.

The Fullers said...

I love that you refer to the Brady Bunch and claim youth in the same blog :) I hope you're feeling better- and you better call me if you're not!