On Wednesday I wasn't expecting to see anything when I opened the blinds to look at the cups on the window sill. To my great delight, there were already about three sprouts in each cup. When I went to look again yesterday, I felt a little sick. This is the problem we have now.
Sunday, March 8, 2009
Flower Power
I'm an octuplet mom sympathizer this week. Nicky excitedly came home from primary last Sunday with a packet of flower seeds. The instructions on the back said to wash the seeds in detergent and soak them for 24 hours before planting. Jeff scoffed and said he'd never heard of such a thing and to just plant them without soaking. I washed and soaked as instructed. I borrowed some planting soil and Nicky and I planted the wet seeds on Monday. The package said to be patient as it usually takes about 7 to 14 days to see any sprouting. Since I've never planted flowers before, I assumed it would be luck if a couple of the little devils appeared. Having that mind set, I planted all the seeds in two little cups.
On Wednesday I wasn't expecting to see anything when I opened the blinds to look at the cups on the window sill. To my great delight, there were already about three sprouts in each cup. When I went to look again yesterday, I felt a little sick. This is the problem we have now.
The cup accommodations are not going to cut it for long unless I do selective reduction. I'm not even sure if all of them have been born yet as I even see some new ones today. I don't have the heart to pluck any of my little guys. Does anyone have any suggestions? Can I move these beauties to a larger pot and expect them to live or are they tragically too close together? I was planning to move them anyway but I was going to wait until they were bigger.
On Wednesday I wasn't expecting to see anything when I opened the blinds to look at the cups on the window sill. To my great delight, there were already about three sprouts in each cup. When I went to look again yesterday, I felt a little sick. This is the problem we have now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Don't have a green thumb here, but I m sure you can separate them in more cups.
The directions on the seed packet should say if you need to thin them or not. Probably would be easier just to plant into bigger containers. Yeah, with gardening you have to thin a lot in the beginning.
I've never had anything that has lived, so I have no advice. Seems like you could put them in a bigger flower pot though?
Post a Comment