Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Journals

In the past year I've become a huge fan of journals. My Grandma Peck gave my mom volume 1981-1983 out of her collection of journals. Grandma gave out her journals like she would a litter of kittens. All to different homes. I always thought it was strange. I would have preferred that one person receive her journals and create a book that included everything. I'm visiting Utah next month and I thought it would be a nice gesture if I typed up never before seen (to anyone other than my mom) 81-83 and presented it as a gift to my uncles, aunts, and cousins. What started out as a gift for them, has proved to be a gift to me.

Grandma was not a fast read to begin with. She wrote daily and included many mundane facts. She mentions the outside temperature on each entry. You'll be glad to know it was 60 degrees out on March 24, 1981 and "nice out." There is a viewing or funeral every other day and every day in between a trip to the temple with two or more endowment sessions completed. Grandma and Grandpa "Dell" as she calls him, have lunch at the temple too because the price is reasonable and the food decent. I love the wordage she uses, "Valois phoned. The reception was grand. My how I enjoyed that candy bar I ate even thought it made my blood sugar go to 180." Emotions picked up and the read quickened when I got to April 1981. That was the year and month a granddaughter was excommunicated from the church. Poor Grandma! Her heart was broken. It was neat to see a closeness develop between her and my mom. My mom would come by quite often to talk and console Grandma in regards to the excommunication or take her for a ride. They had what I would call an ideal mother-in-law/daughter-in-law relationship. I can see now why Grandma gave Mom this particular journal.

I think what I enjoy the most is just feeling like I've spent some time with Grandma. I loved her so. I feel that way every time I read someones journal who is gone. It's just as if I have been in their presence and I don't feel lonely for that individual for a time after I've finished reading. How neat that journals bring a spirit back and a person, long dead, can be there in very feeling for their children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, etc. What a gift is the written word!

4 comments:

Marie' said...

What a gift! I would love to read my grandmother's journal, but she doesn't have any.

KellyDiane said...

That's nice that you have grandma's journals. I'll have to borrow them sometime...although I think I might be bored to tears if she goes on too much about the weather :) I don't think I have ever written about the weather once in a journal entry. Funny grandma.

Kimberly said...

I haven't kept a journal in so long. Does blogging count? I'd be afraid to have anyone read my journal from my younger years. I think it's a great gift to be able to read your mothers and grandmothers journals. You should make them into a book or something. So, when do you fly into SL? I still need to contact my friend and get all the details arranged, but I am so excited to see you!! We were in OC last week and I thought about calling you, but didn't want to bother you with meeting us there. But, I will be seeing you next month...yahoo!!!

Lindsay Jones said...

Melissa, I gave you an award on my blog, I just love to read your blog.