Saturday, May 23, 2009

Nestless

Today I felt like Jeff and I were the main characters in the book Make Way for Ducklings. You know the kids book that has the ducks Mr. and Mrs. Mallard flying all over Boston looking for the right place for Mrs. Mallard to lay her eggs. Mrs. Mallard is frustrated to find that every location she selects has some element that is unsuitable for children. One pond seems very nice and tourists even throw peanuts. Then she almost gets hit by a bike on a busy street and yells out, "this is no place for babies." Eventually they find the right place but just in time because it is time for molting and laying eggs.

We saw at least 13 homes in Sacramento today while Grandma watched the kids. We found about three homes we really liked but then they each turned out to have a hidden unpleasantry: a high mello roos, a small backyard, a view of Massage Envy from the master bedroom, bathrooms too small, a road too busy, messy neighbors, etc. etc. Jeff is particularly in love with Granite Bay, Folsom, and El Dorado Hills; places that are all a little out of price range.

I know it is only the first day we looked but I guess I had high expectations for finding a home because I spent the ride home in tears. There is something so unsettling about being pregnant and not having a place to live. I need a nest.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

You'll find your nest. Have faith and we'll keep you guys in our prayers :)

Unknown said...

House hunting is stressful enough when you're NOT pregnant! Good luck!

Cami said...

That is a lot of homes to look at in one day. Keep looking. You'll find something!

KellyDiane said...

I hope you find your little nest soon. I still think you all need to move to Arizona! I'll find ya something!

Sharon Fairbourn and family said...

Looking for a home is a hard emotional job. Especially when you feel like it could possibly be where you spend the rest of your life. I wanted a certain home with a certain yard. One I had pictured it would be just right for our family. Unfortunately nobody made that type of home. We settled for the one we got and it's nice and I won't complain, but it was a long road. Good Luck.

Anonymous said...

Although I don't want you to find something up there (I am selfish, I want you to stay South...close to the border), you will find something and it will just feel right! I love your analogy to the duckling book, you are so clever! I am sure you and Jeff will find the perfect place to "nest"!

SuburbiaMom said...

Good luck and hang in there--the right home will present itself!!

Kimberly said...

Your house is out there...you WILL find it! I feel your frustration. I've been "homeless" for almost a year now. I can't wait until we can move back into our own nest! Good Luck.

Marie' said...

Kimberly said what I was just about to say. You will find it. Hang in there.

Tammy said...

The perfect place will come along. Just seems like forever in the moment.