Friday, September 4, 2009

The Accident

This story is a few weeks old and was waiting for me to figure out how get this cell phone picture from my phone to the computer. You'll need the visual to fully grasp the hilarity of the "accident." It all began when we went to pick Nicky up from her best friend Reagan's house. The girls were still playing well so my friend Karin invited me in to chat. Andy went to see what the girls were doing and came back with Reagan's dance recital leotard, demanding that I help him be a princess. I knew it was over the top. Usually when he dresses like a princess he pulls the Cinderella dress up over his regular clothes and takes it off 5 seconds later. The tightness of the leotard prevented this normal routine, so off his clothes came. I don't remember where the necklace came from. I know it all looks bad for a little boy. Even I felt a little weird. I laughed and snapped a picture on my cell to send to his soon-to-be horrified father.

Andy went upstairs to play with the girls and my friend and I talked. A half hour went by before we heard the crashing of furniture. We both got to our feet with our hearts racing and ran upstairs imagining smashed children. What we found illustrates the true chasm between a child's brain and that of logically-minded adult. A big train toy box had been pushed down the stairs. It smashed against the wall and lay broken on the landing. Andy stood sheepishly at the top of the stairs dressed like a smaller and whiter version of Ru Paul and said, "Oh, I just did that." From what I gathered, he thought the train could ride down the stairs/tracks. We were both relieved that nobody was hurt but my friend was a little ticked about the toy box. I re-payed her and things were smoothed over but there was no laughing.

It was only later that I could laugh really hard picturing a snazzily dressed Andy trying to maneuver a huge toy box from the bedroom to the stairs and then shoving it down. Kids are crazy.

3 comments:

Cami said...

Oh man. This is what happens when little boys have big sisters. Too bad about the toy box! I'm sure it wasn't a big deal. It was nice of you to pay for it! People break my stuff all the time, and I just never care. I expect my stuff to get broken.

SuburbiaMom said...

Wow.

Tribe M said...

I am loving this story, but most of all the pic. We may avoid crossdressing in our house since there are no sisters, but mine occassionally ask for makeup if that makes your hubby feel better. I just offer face paint instead. A little pirate mustache, some kitty whiskers...