Saturday, September 26, 2009

Fancy the Killer

I promised the kids a cat. There are probably better times to be out looking for a cat say when you haven't just completed a major move, aren't expecting a baby in a few weeks, and when both Jeff and Andy aren't having terrible allergy/sinus issues. It makes no logical sense but we are on the lookout for a meowing, purring, bundle of joy.

Our first stop was the PetSmart adoption day this morning. Nicky and Andy "played" with a terrified looking black kitten and then I requested a visit with Fancy. Fancy was a five-year-old calico female. She looked benign enough in her glass cage. She was a fatty and kept caressing herself against the window as if begging for us to hold and pet her. The man working the booth told us she'd been rescued from the Placer County Animal Shelter where someone said, "she was too great an animal to be put down." He put her in my lap and she began to purr. Nicky held her and she continued to purr. Andy pet her once and got a warning bite. He went for her again with his unsteady hand and Fancy tried to tear out his radial artery.

I was annoyed not because Fancy tried to kill my boy but because the employee made the comment, "this family probably wouldn't be a happy fit for Fancy." Wasn't she just on death row a few weeks ago? Since when does Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde cat have the right to be picky? For the record there Fancy, we don't really want you.

I'm hoping we find a more mellow specimen in the coming weeks. We have need for a cat who gets along well with small children. Do such exist?

5 comments:

KellyDiane said...

Oh the relief! I saw the picture of Fancy and thought that was your cat of choice..one cannot fancy Fancy when she is so homely. I don't know why I have guilt calling a cat homely, but she reminds me of Marygold and I never liked Marygold.

Lisa said...

yes, there are cats that are good with children. We've had several cats and they've all been good. We always got them as kittens so maybe that's the trick. I have felt bad for some of our cats in the past. My boys terrorized them sometimes with the games they would play but in the end the cats still loved them :)

Kimberly said...

They were giving away free kittens that had been rescued from SUU at Walmart on Saturday. I'm sure they will still be there this weekend...maybe you should make a trip:)

Maybe you need a puppy instead...or a fish...

Thank goodness Andy survived. And, thank goodness you survived the pet store lady...there's no telling what a pregnant lady will do or say when her hormones are raging...ha ha!

BTW, thanks for calling me back...I've been working at the gym A LOT. I'll call you soon!

Marie' said...

Gosh, that would have made me so mad. Poor Andy. Does he still want a cat after that? My family always had cats, and like Lisa said, the trick is to get them when they are brand new.

Cami said...

Such cats exist, but I am not in the market for one. Good luck. I'd just tell the kids all cats are like that and not get one. :)