This isn't our picture but shows the 26 footer Jeff and his dad drove up from San Diego. It takes diesal fuel. Much to my surprise our belongings filled the whole thing. I didn't know we had that much stuff.I took the 8th month of pregnancy, civilized approach to moving; I didn't. The kids and I flew up to spend the weekend with my mother-in-law while Jeff and his dad sweat, ate nothing, and labored and then spent today driving the beast up to Sacramento. What swell men! Did I ever mention how much I love my mother-in-law. She turned the air conditioner on for me yesterday. It felt wonderful. Today she watched Andy while I took Nicky in for her ear infection. She didn't even mind watching the kids outside while I took a little napsie on the couch. I am so large and useless. I'm not afraid to admit.
I've felt weird right along with my hugeness. Really weird! Why must we uproot ourselves in these moves? It doesn't feel good. I waited anxiously all day to get the call from Jeff saying he'd arrived. Then I drilled him about the house, the guys from the ward that came to help, the weather, the grocery store nearby. I'm so anxious for first impressions that I was desperate enough to take Jeff's. First impressions suck anyway. Why is it human nature to want to make them? They're always wrong later. I think Jeff and I are just tentative about being happy with this choice. For all my complaining about San Diego heat the past few weeks, we did leave San Diego. For 99% of the year the climate is perfect, there's a balmy beach, and then, probably the hardest to leave of all, the comfortable feeling of having lived in the same neighborhood for four years surrounded by friends. All Jeff would really say about anything was that it was, "different." Of course I know it will be.
So I had my good cry for feeling insecure and lonely and now I'm over it. Tomorrow I get to go to church and see (but probably not really see yet) for myself. My goal is to make the whole thing fun and adventurous for the kids so they don't sense that I'm not feeling secure myself. I've also decided that I will look for opportunities to meet and serve others right off to knock myself out of my self centered worries. How bad can moving somewhere new where we know nobody be? We've done this before, right?
7 comments:
I'm excited for you guys Missy! You are probably talking to the wrong girl, but I like moving and meeting new people. It's weird and very lonely at first, but I think of all the wonderful people I wouldn't have met had I not uprooted myself. Hang in there, you will feel right at home in no time! That's life right, everything takes time...sigh :)
How is nicky BTW? Hope her ears are feeling better.
LOL, I really wish this did not post the time! 4:02 am you can tell what I do when I can't sleep...blog creeping.
Congrats on the move. You'll be a great asset to your new ward and community.
I know! Moving is not fun and going to a new ward is not fun and making the most out of meeting new people and making new friends is not fun. However, you're going to be great! You have the right attitude about everything. At least you're normal, right?! I'm excited for you guys and all that you have to look forward to in your new place. Good luck and post lots of pictures soon so we can see what your new home and neighborhood looks like. You're gonna love having all that space. Are you really 8 months???? Wow! You don't look huge to me at all...I thought you were more around 7. Being pregnant will help you make lots of new friends right away...they'll all want to help out!!
I like moving too! New friends, new opportunities! You have an awesome attitude and you'll get to know people quickly by serving them! :) Take a deep breath and enjoy it. You only get to be the new girl for a little while...
Melissa I missed you and Jeff last week :( I was sad when I realized it was your last Sunday. Please tell Jeff I was sad. I'm excited for you to have your own place and you will make a lot of friends in your new ward and be such an asset. You are both so wonderful! In fact, yesterday when we were driving home from the ward beach activity your names came up somehow and Sarah said "Bro. Camacho was the best Sunday school teacher and their kids are so cute." I agree with Kimberly, you do not look 8 months pregnant. Keep us posted on life in the Camacho household :)
Oh, it's hard. I feel you. I really do. I have to tell myself to wait 7 years before I start comparing it to a place I lived for 7 years.
Post a Comment