Monday, September 24, 2007

A New Baby

As summer comes to a close, I can't help but remember our situation last year at this time. I was sitting on my couch at 170 pounds with strict orders to only move for bathroom breaks and we were taking trips to the triage at Mary Birch every other day. I gained such an understanding of how miserable it is to have to ask for EVERYTHING! I couldn't even get up to make my own peanut butter sandwich without having to live with the guilt of thinking I might be harming an innocent fetus. Guilt and a little crankiness were my two constant companions. Nicky watched TV and I read her books. Someone else had to bathe her, change her, and put her in her crib. She was farmed out to different houses and had strangers take her to the park. Jeff had to work his job at night and do the cleaning, cooking, and caring for us during the day.

And then our little Andy came a long. It is so humbling to me that in his case it made a lot more than two to make a healthy baby. I was the pregnant one but it took doctors, anesthesiologists, nurses, family, and friends to help get him here safely. I have never had an experience before where I knew I would die and my baby would die without the assistance of medical professionals. I know it is their job. However, I was put in a very humble and thankful position to know that because of their intervention, Andy is a happy and healthy little boy today. No amount of money could ever repay them. My nurses were so sweet and compassionate. I kept waiting for a bad one but she never came. I was so doped up on pain meds and worry that I never took the time to get their names. Now I wish so much that I could thank the nurses who attended to me and to little Andy in the NICU. They were so wonderful.

And last but not least, there was Jeff who sometimes drove the hour round trip to the hospital 3 times per day to see us. He said he knew the way by heart and even had the cracks in the freeway memorized. It was Jeff who made everything seem like it was going to be OK when it seemed most worrisome. I love his calm and peaceful nature.
I am so glad that last year is over and Andy is safe. I am no longer huge and I can do all the things for my family that I love to do. I feel so happy that it is not last year anymore.

5 comments:

Cami said...

wow. I hate those stories. I'm glad Andy is safe and happy though! I often feel bad that I didn't think the NICU nurses after Jefferson was born too. I was still so worried about him when we were discharged.

heather peck said...

I love times like this when you can look back and appreciate and grow through the hard times and see you made it through. So happy you and Andy are doing great one year later!

Devo said...

I am so glad that Andy is happy and healthy! He is such an adorable little boy. It's hard to believe he was a preemie in those pictures...he didn't look it!

Amber said...

That sounds aweful. I feel so bad that we were far away and couln't be helpful in such a hard time. I bet it is nice to be looking back on that trial instead of being in the middle of it. You guys are awesome and Andy is so cute and growing to be such a big boy!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how different Andy is looking since last time I saw him. He's really almost one... Crazy!!! I love you guys, you're the cutest little family!