Jeff’s been asking me for the longest time to take a trip with him to Tijuana. It’s only a 45 minute trip from our house. We’ve both been there before but he has a short memory about the location. He doesn’t recall how there is absolutely nothing you would want to buy there and, for lack of a better word, it literally reeks. Yesterday was Jeff’s 31st birthday and so I presented him with my willingness to accompany him to Mexico. The last time we went there was about 5 years ago and the first thing I noticed was how it wasn’t crowded at all. There were only a few white people and no white kids. It must be losing its popularity I had forgotten how sad it makes me to see the old ladies and mothers with babies begging for change. And to top it off, there was a legless man pushing himself around on a skateboard. SAD! We put most of our spending money in the little paper cups the kids were begging with.
It’s totally funny how you can walk 5 blocks and all the stores sell the same felt pictures, Mexican dresses, hats, maracas, and other junk. One merchant yelled out, “Come in and buy something you don’t need.” That totally sums it up. The pharmacies are totally taking over too. Every other store is a Farmacia.
All of us got a picture with the “zebra.” Nicky was afraid of it that is why she looks a little unhappy. The trip was fun and it did end up being something different which was what Jeff wanted. So we were all happy.
For Jeff’s birthday present, I typed up his mission journal and made a little book. I thought this would be the year I would finally surprise him with something. Unfortunately he figured out what I was doing as usual. I think I give out too many hints. Anyway, the journal was actually an amazing read. I liked reading about all the people and companions that Jeff met and cared about. The mission was really hard at some points. I saw Jeff have as many ups and downs with his mood as I did during pregnancy. I learned missions are really hard and special and Jeff was so cute on his. One of his companions said he loved working with Jeff because he was a person and not a robot. There were other good stories and uplifting sequences. I give the journal and the writer four stars.
Nicky was really cute for Jeff's birthday. She helped me make his cake and decorate. Saturday morning she kept running into the bedroom to announce, "Daddy, you have a birday cake!" The above picture shows how mesmerized she was by the lighted cake. I couldn't get her to look at me for the picture.
Andy enjoyed the balloons! Happy Birthday Jeff. We love you.
2 comments:
Wow! That is some present! Congratulations on getting that all done. It sounds like a very eventful trip, and a great birthday.
You guys are always doing something adventurous and fun. When Todd and I went there, they said he spoke good spanish and he should get a nice Mexican wife. He pointed to me and said he already had a wife. They laughed and said he needed to have lots of women of all kinds! Silly guys!
Post a Comment