Monday, January 21, 2008

Utah Hair

My friend Kimberly recently posted some pictures of herself and her husband back when they were in high school in Orange County. I was surprised to note how normal looking her hair appeared. Her hair was long and flowy with soft bangs and so pretty. I pulled out some of my old pictures to gasp in horror at the Extra Super Hold Aqua Net nest that was my hair circa 1992-1996. Jeff tells me Utah is so behind the times and my hair is proof. I remember everything that went into achieving my look. First there was the perm with the hours of small curler rolling and strange smelling burny chemicals administered by the stylist. I had special brushes, a blow dryer diffuser, a curling iron with just the right size barrel for the bangs. In addition, I had a propane run curling iron for girl’s camp when electricity couldn’t be found. I also kept the suppliers of Aqua Net in business by purchasing 2.5 bottles per week.

Just looking at these pictures brings back so many memories and so many feelings. Those years were wonderful and they were awful. On the one hand, I had the best friends ever. In German class my friends Katie and Elise introduced me to the wonders of the trashy romance novel. I remembered we would dog ear the really good pages and pass it around. We had sleepovers complete with toilet papering, shaving cream fights, water fights, and naughty games. We sluffed school, we ate Skittles for lunch, we wrote funny notes, we cruised Spanish Fork main looking for cowboys. I remember laughing so much and so hard. There was also the drama and tears. The wanting to fit in and be popular but never quite measuring up to what I believed my older siblings had been. I remember the not being asked to Senior Prom by either of the two guys I liked era and crying my eyes out. (I still can’t see kids going to prom without feeling a rock in my stomach.) I remember the big fight with my mom over the pink key holed dress I wore to Seminary graduation. (I guess the dress showed a slight amount of cleavage. But geez, shouldn’t she have been relieved I graduated from seminary?)

Anyway, enjoy the pictures of my hair in all its glory and a picture of now. I don’t know if I like my style now much better but at least if something laid eggs in it, I would know.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Oh my GOSH!!! It was even poofier than I imagined! You definitely wore it well. I totally remember the cordless curling irons that girls would take to Girls Camp. I was always super jealous and wished I had one, I thought they were sooo cool. Also, I thought the comment about you driving up and down Main Street looking for cowboys was so funny. Were you really attracted to cowboys back then? When I was at Ricks, all of th cowboys would drive up and down Main Street in their big trucks...I never really understood it. I was this California girl that grew up without a "Main Street." We did all of our hanging out at the beach doing bonfires or at Disneyland or the movies. Anyway, it was fun taking a trip down memory lane with you. You are so, so, so funny and always make me laugh! One of these days I will have to post pictures of me in elementary school (pre-california) with my poofy bangs!

KellyDiane said...

What happened to the picture with the robin's nest on top of your head...that's my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE!!! It's sad but I had the exact same poofy hair style until my senior year...and that was 1998!!! It took me quite some time to get it right! So unfortunate! I had straight hair my senior year, and did not attend the senior prom...guess it didn't matter the style of hairdo...I also thought when the puffy hair went away, so would the Daryl Hannah references...nope! Insulting!

Cami said...

AH HAHAHAHAH!!! Good times with the mormon claw hairstyle. Great job with the propane curling iron. Oh the drama of NOT having hair done! What would one do??

Krustee said...

Now that is some volume. Wow! You have such pretty hair, in every decade. I had a crimper in junior high. I thought it was about the coolest thing ever. This was confirmed when one of the popular girls asked to borrow it. I sure thought I was something. I'm glad the days of perms are gone...I had my fair share!