Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A Hearse Amongst the Toys

Since Andy started walking last month, he is exhibiting more little boy personality traits. We had a couple of toy cars hanging around that must have been lifted from the park last year because I don't remember buying any. Nicky never played with them. A couple of days ago they suddenly became Andy's favorite toy. I bought him about five more cars yesterday at Walmart and he has had one or two of them clasped up in his little sweaty hands ever since. He says, "go" and pushes them across the floor. He rides them up and down the walls making car noises. In the below picture, the cars are traveling around in the refrigerator.


Nicky likes to take pictures and took this one. Sometimes her pictures turn out funny. Here she catches how his little hands look at any given moment during the day. I had to pry those cars out of his hands the past two nights to put him to bed.

When we got home from Walmart, I noticed one of the little cars we had picked up was a hearse (as in a white funeral coach). At first I thought it was funny and cute that they would make such a cute little mini car out of such a thing. But as I would see the car on the floor or Andy clutching it throughout the day, I started to have strange thoughts. Maybe it is because I have never had a nice experience with a hearse. They remind me of funerals and funerals are always sad with the only redeeming thing being the good food that follows. My mind was pondering thoughts of when I would take my ride in a hearse. Would I be old or young? What does it feel like to be so still and cold? What will I be wearing?...oh yes, temple clothes. I don't like having grim thoughts so I think it is time that the hearse leave our home. Any takers? I guess I could leave it on our mean neighbors doorstep to give him a scare but that wouldn't be nice. It may come in handy for a joke sometime. In the meantime, I think I am going to hide it away.


6 comments:

Cami said...

Who HAS had a good experience with a Hearse? That is crazy!

Oh, and I go right ahead and put my kids to bed WITH their cars. Good times.

Krustee said...

Okay when he was over the other day he was playing with cars the entire time. It was so cute!

Kimberly said...

I have never seen a toy hearse? Who in their right mind decided to replicate such a thing? Weird. On the other hand, I totally love watching little boys play with their cars...they are so imaginative and cute when they make their zooming noises.

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha!!! That hearse picture makes me laugh...nice angle! That is a creepy little toy for sure!

I don't remember having any weird toys as a child, but I have since realized now how many disturbing movies I was allowed to view at a young age. I know "watcher in the woods" is a Disney show, but wow...that movie still scares me. I also watched "the shining" at age 9, and the most disturbing; "rosemary's baby" Sometimes I wonder what mom was thinking :)

I'm sure your children will be a little more regulated as far as their movie viewing is concerned. And as far as the hearse goes, if it's causing you such morbid thoughts...I'd store it.

Melissa said...

And I just looked in the little window and there is a coffin inside. Morbid!

Amber said...

It is so funny how boys seem to automatically like cars! Now you can just buy him a huge thing of 25 cars or something for Christmas for 10.00 and be done! I loved the days of cars and army guys. Now it's all about Ipods and sports junk. Baby boys are so fun!