Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Surf P.E.

Summer has returned to San Diego. It was a nice 75 degrees today and since Andy has had some sort of nasty fever/sore throat virus, we couldn't do our usual playgroups at the park. I got Jeff to sluff work and go with me to the beach.

We had to put the beach umbrella up on the grassy area because Nicky is terrified of the ocean and the sand that isn't at least 50 feet from the water. Anyway, as we were sitting there, about 50 kids showed up with surf boards and boogy boards and started putting on wet suits. At first I thought they must be high schoolers because the girls all looked so beautiful and voluptuous. Then I noticed how puny the boys looked and I realized the disparity of puberty reaching must mean that they were all 7th and 8th graders. I asked one of the girls what they were doing and she said, "oh this is surf P.E. We do this every Wednesday and Friday." Wow! is all I can say. They never had such in Lehi when I was in school. We just had the regular ugly P.E. issue clothes and the regular games of volleyball and basketball in the gym in February.

3 comments:

Cami said...

That is AWESOME!

Kimberly said...

Wow! I totally missed out on the surf thing in middle school too! Can you imagine? That would be so fun!

Krustee said...

Who surfs for P.E.? I want to sign up for their school. How fun! The warm weather is welcome. So excited to start playing at the beach again. Sorry to hear Andy has been sick. My boys have had colds this week too. It's been a party.