
Last weekend when Jeff left for yet another business excursion, I discovered this trip would make him absent from our home for the fifth week out of the last six. I was feeling pretty sorry for myself when my single sister Kelly called Sunday night. I complained about my long Sabbath Day alone with two people that need me for every imaginable physical and emotional want they have. She surprised me by making the comment, "At least you have a husband and two little people that love you." "You know Jeff will be coming home." For the entire next day I thought about her comment and was a little perturbed that she didn't filter herself. I mean, I think all of us have these thoughts when we see someone that appears to have exactly what we wish we had ourselves. I've had them plenty of times. Usually I just remind myself that it is hard to compare trials and that everyone is wanting in some way.
Kelly's comment really did get to me this time and I realized she was right. I am very blessed to have a sweet husband where I am actually happy when he is home and sad when he is away. And though the kids can drive me to insanity with sleeping problems and tantrums, I couldn't be happier to have them as my own. I guess it was a reminder to be happy for what I have. And for those without husbands, I can only pray that they come sooner rather than later. I am sorry if my complaints offended.
Jeff came home today and we were all so glad. Now things can be right at home once again. Nicky colored the sign in the picture after I wrote, "Welcome Home Daddy." We had to take it off the door quick because we didn't want to get a note from the Nazis (
HOA).
8 comments:
I am so glad Jeff is home. Does he have to go out of town again soon? You always have such a positive way of looking at things. Next time Jeff is gone, call me and I will watch the kids for you so you can have a break!
Luckily he is home for good. Hooray!
Oh, I am glad he is home. It's true, but it sure is hard when he's gone anyway. My brother-in-law once told me (Jake's brother, not Todd) I was basically a whiner because I didn't want Jake to be gone for a long time and plenty of women take care of their kids alone. I wanted to kill him at the time. It's always easy to see the grass being greener, but it is good to remember our blessings for sure.
I complain ALL. THE. TIME. when my husband's not home. I was complaining about him being gone for a church meeting one Sunday and my mom reminded me that I would WAY RATHER have an active husband than not. I would be complaining if he weren't going to meetings. So, yeah...it's easy to complain. Good job at remembering your blessings!
Wow--I'm really sorry that my comment "perturbed" you the whole next day...even if the realization of your blessings followed that emotion, I had no idea! I really do need to filter better...
I hear you Melissa. It's hard when Matt is gone or working like crazy. But I tell you, I think about my dear single friends who would give all they have in the world to be in my place and I realize I have little justification for complaint. We really are so blessed.
When Todd is gone it makes me feel so bad for the single Mom's out there. That would be so hard and lonely. We all need a little reminder sometimes to be grateful for what we have, but it doesn't mean that things aren't still hard. Yay for Jeff being nice and needed!
Having spouses gone really makes you appreciate how much we normally take them for granted. All of a sudden the trivial annoying things become lovable again. Being reunited is so fun. So glad you are all back together again.....and I hope you don't get sick!
Post a Comment