Sunday, September 28, 2008

Camping

Thanks to the Bunkers, a spontaneous camping trip to Julian occurred Friday night. I laugh at the amount of gear that must be loaded into the car for a simple overnighter. We made the drive to dry and lovely Julian which is the only mountainy area close by and also the start location for last year's fire. The Bunkers had arrived earlier and set up their camp so Kevin was kind enough to help Jeff set up our seven man monstrosity just before the sun went down. We enjoyed hot dogs, smores, and after the kids went to bed, adult conversation by the fire. We had two air mattresses in our tent and during the night everyone ended up on one.

The next morning we had a delicious breakfast of pancakes, bacon, eggs all while fighting off bees. Andy managed to be sour for all his pictures though he had a fun time. I think he disliked the camera and all the flying insects buzzing around his face.

Nicky was a good sport and played with dump trucks. We forgot to bring any girl toys. We also had a good laugh when she proposed to Kedrick and he said no.


She took it pretty hard and cried and cried until Daddy got her mind off it by letting her help him pull the tent down.



It was fun to watch the kids in their dirty bliss. They seem to find grime, sticks, leaves, and bugs so magical. Seeing them happy makes setting up, taking down, cleaning up, going without my teeth brushed, bathing everyone, laundering, and scrubbing the tub worth every second.

9 comments:

Lindsay Jones said...

That sounds like so much fun. I always wonder if it is worth the clean up for an outing like that. We will have to give it a shot next year.

KellyDiane said...

Poor nicky, feeling rejection at such a young age! looks like you had a lot of fun. Funny that you all ended up on one air mattress, how comfortable, ha.

Marie' said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marie' said...

What fun! I am feeling all jealous here. We tried to go right before we moved out, but it was too hot by then. It must have cooled down.
I can't believe Kedrick said no. That is so funny. Did he say why? I guess if somebody asked Kai, he would just say no, too, because he still wants to marry his mom. Nikki is much more mature than Kai.

myspoileddogs said...

I love camping. looks like lots of fun!!

Tammy said...

Ae man the outdoors are great! Kids love to get dirty!

Cami said...

Dirty bliss is RIGHT! Camping is a lot of work for a little fun, but the kids sure love it.

Kimberly said...

How fun! We still haven't been camping yet.

Krustee said...

It was so fun despite the work and the annoying bees! I have to say my favorite part was the whole proposal thing!! I wish we had it on videotape!