Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Pranks

Nicky and I share a love of pranks. I'll always treasure memories made from pranks I played on my mom. Scaring my mom was the funniest because she gave such a good reaction. In one of my favorite prank memories, I remember Mom outfitted in a terry cloth robe coming down the stairs in the darkness of the basement with laundry loaded in her arms. I quickly hid in the blackness between the washer and dryer. As she neared I jumped out with a "boo." What a cheap thrill for me when she hollered and the clothes flew up and into all directions. With her face flushed in anger, she let me know how unfunny it all was and how I almost gave her a heart attack. The more she got mad the funnier it got, and the more I laughed the more she chastised. Funny times!

Given my history it didn't come as a surprise that the genes gave Nicky a knack for pranks. I noticed it a few weeks ago when Nicky, Andy, and I were riding in the red car (the one without air conditioning). It was hot and "sweaty," as Nicky likes to say, and there was one water sippy cup. Andy was crying out for water but Nicky was in possession of the cup. A strange expression came over Nicky's face and she proceeded to drink the sippy cup dry. She then handed the cup over to Andy's seat and said sweetly, "Andy, want a drink of water?" She waited patiently for him to hold the cup to his lips and receive no refreshment and then laughed hysterically as he made grunts of displeasure. I couldn't help but laugh myself because it was mean but strangely funny. I was probably taken by surprise because she'd come up with something that diabolical on her own.

Today we spent Andy's nap time giggling while I told Nicky tales of my many pranks. Her favorites were saran wrap over Daddy's toilet seat and the story where I hid in the bushes at Grandma Dee's whilst intermittently tapping on windows and ringing the doorbell. As soon as Daddy arrived home she insisted on getting him a cold glass of water mixed with a secret tablespoon of salt. She giggled until she couldn't breathe while he tried it and spit it into the sink. Pranks sure make life a little less serious and a little more fun. Nicky's laugh makes me happy even if what gets her laughing is a little evilness.

3 comments:

myspoileddogs said...

Sounds like a cute little prankster!!

Marie' said...

What a funny girl! Are Jeff and Andy going to be the victim at your house?

Krustee said...

I can't believe she comes up with this stuff on her own! It has to be genetic. :)