
I can only remember enjoying this movie as a youngster so I almost bought it for Nicky at Costco. She’s snubbed many a movie before so I thought it might be wise to rent first and buy later when I was sure it would be a movie she’d watch a thousand times. So the other night we pulled out the air mattress and I sat with Nicky and Andy for their first showing of Sleeping Beauty. Andy watched the whole thing intently. Nicky made me fast forward any part with the wicked witch or fairy Malificent and she ran out of the room when the evil spinning wheel appeared. Other than that, she enjoyed.
I found myself getting annoyed watching this as an adult. For one thing, if the fairies could only give a couple of gifts to the baby, shouldn’t they have given brains before the gift of song or even beauty for that matter? They certainly make Aurora lovely but she’s as dense and vapid as they come. She falls into “true love” with the first guy that shows up in the woods and can duet, “Once Upon A Dream” with her. She knows nothing about the guy and doesn’t even bother to ask any questions before pledging her undying love for him. I guess she figures any future differences can be worked out by breaking into song together. Then when the fairies tell Aurora that she’s really a princess and they’re taking her home to King Steffan that night, she starts bawling. She’s not crying because she found out her whole life is a lie but because she’s supposed to meet her boyfriend at the cottage later and she’s going to miss it.
What’s with the fairies’ idea to raise Aurora in the cottage for 16 years? Wasn’t the wicked spinning wheel accident supposed to happen on her 16th birthday? Couldn’t they have hidden her a couple of days before her birthday? Did it have to be her whole life?
Silly movie, but I have to admit it’s still a lot of fun. Maybe I’m just jealous of Sleeping Beauty’s perfect hair and voice and the fact that she gets a lot more sleep than I do.
I found myself getting annoyed watching this as an adult. For one thing, if the fairies could only give a couple of gifts to the baby, shouldn’t they have given brains before the gift of song or even beauty for that matter? They certainly make Aurora lovely but she’s as dense and vapid as they come. She falls into “true love” with the first guy that shows up in the woods and can duet, “Once Upon A Dream” with her. She knows nothing about the guy and doesn’t even bother to ask any questions before pledging her undying love for him. I guess she figures any future differences can be worked out by breaking into song together. Then when the fairies tell Aurora that she’s really a princess and they’re taking her home to King Steffan that night, she starts bawling. She’s not crying because she found out her whole life is a lie but because she’s supposed to meet her boyfriend at the cottage later and she’s going to miss it.
What’s with the fairies’ idea to raise Aurora in the cottage for 16 years? Wasn’t the wicked spinning wheel accident supposed to happen on her 16th birthday? Couldn’t they have hidden her a couple of days before her birthday? Did it have to be her whole life?
Silly movie, but I have to admit it’s still a lot of fun. Maybe I’m just jealous of Sleeping Beauty’s perfect hair and voice and the fact that she gets a lot more sleep than I do.
4 comments:
You are such a great writer. I think I enjoyed reading your blog more than watching sleeping beauty itself. I grew up with three brothers, so Jackie Chan and Sherlock Homes dominated our screen. Charlie's Angels was the girliest it got. Asha has been entertaining me with her love for Barbie movies. Princess and the Popper has been her all-time favorite.
ha ha! It's so true! I was watching and laughing about it with Jake. I snuggled up to him all cozy and then said, "Who are you, what's your name?" What's up with that!!!??? Crazy times. But, hey, what do you do. Luckily, Prince Philip was just as air-headed as she was, so all is well. I actually found some really amazing truths in it, and I think the music is awesome. I had some childhood flashbacks. Very fun. The kids liked the dragon part, but I murmured to Jake, "that was a little too easy," when he threw the sword and it killed her, and right after that, Jeffy said, "Well, THAT was easy." See, even a 7-year-old can see it!
You are so funny! That's how Lance and I work out all of our differences! We just turn everything into a musical. Then how can you not laugh? Not really, but maybe that Aurora's onto something...I'm glad you guys had fun.
I am starting to boycott some Disney movies in our house. A lot of them I just remember as a child feeling unsettled after I watched them. Like Dumbo, Pinnochio, Snow White, etc... (mostly the older ones) Sometimes the villains are too evil and really some messages I just don't want given to my kids. I think Sleeping Beauty was pretty scarey when I was little, but I too, enjoy the movie despite it's complete shallowness. We did rent Dumbo the other day and have you ever noticed all the black workers/slaves faces are smudged or non existant? I know that is a reflection of the time it was made in, and it could be the animals perspective's that all people look the same except for the clowns and circus headmaster, but it really bothered me. So anyways, I am not going to buy all the Disney movies like I previously thought.
you certainly view movies differently when you wonder what message your kids are getting from them! Maybe I'll start having Kedrick watch all the princess movies so he can grasp the whole marriage thing. :)
Post a Comment