Jeff was just about to buy a lock for the bedroom door when I thought to re institute the chart. I never had one of these myself as I was the 5th of 6th children and my parents were entering their 40s by the time I was three. They were tired. They did resort to the lock on the door. I don't really blame them. I think I just have to try something else before I go that far.
The chart has helped as has the alarm clock on my cell phone. Nicky's stories had to be LONG before and it was all subjective to her definition of long. My throat was actually getting sore from story telling. Like I said these sagas could stretch 20 to 30 minutes and were taxing my imagination. How many entertaining scenarios that involve the neighborhood dogs and Nicky are there? Then, after all the effort, she bellers that the story was too short. No amount of arguing could convince her otherwise. A couple of days ago I told her we were setting an alarm to make sure I didn't get away with telling a short story like I'd been doing in the past. She bought it. At 5 minutes the alarm goes off and if I haven't finished, she thinks the extra storytelling minute to end the story makes the story even longer than longer. Santa Claus has also been helpful. The last item on her chart is, "go to sleep without crying." I told her Santa is watching and if she fills her chart with stickers, he will bring all the gifts he has for her. It's working so far. But what happens after Christmas? I also have to leave the lights on and the door open because monsters seem to be in the room when I turn the lights out. The drama.
Andy only goes to bed if I'm laying by him now but it only takes five minutes and I can transfer him to bed for the night. I kind of enjoy it. He is so snuggly. Somehow I know it is not a good idea for long term but I am tired of fighting everything. What is it with kids and going to bed? My mom always said I was a bedtime beast myself so I suppose its payback.
P.S. My sister Kelly is here and says that the lines on my chart make her feel her OCD coming on. She wants to re-do the lines. Funny how I was just in a hurry to get something up. No ruler was involved. I didn't even notice the chart's horrendousness.
3 comments:
Nice chart. It is so nice to have something else that can tell your kids what to do. Even if you are the one that made it.
Our recent favorite is to tell Kai to "run like a Jamaican". Kai drops everything he is doing and runs straight to his bedroom.
Hi! I am Amanda Messervy's sister and I was snooping around on your blog and saw your idea for the bedtime chart. My daughter Aaliyah who is 2, has been having a hard time going to bed the past few nights and I needed help. Then I saw your blog! :) We started our chart with stickers last night. It helps me remember the order we are supposed to do things and she loves putting the stickers on the chart. Only problem when I tell her we are done with the stickers, she doesn't want to stop..... Thanks for the idea!
what makes the chart beautiful is it is working! I can't imagine telling a story for 20-30 minutes, that is really impressive. I was horrified when I recently timed how long our bedtime routine was taking. We are trying to wean the boys back down to 1 story only!
Post a Comment