Sunday, November 2, 2008

Turquoise Temptation

We went to the mall last night. Sometimes I like to walk through Nordstroms. I like to look at how much the ritzy neighbors are paying for their clothes and make silent gasps to myself. $120 for a workout outfit! Really? I haven't owned anything from Nordstroms since 1992. That was the year my mom bought me some of those stylish brown lace up dress shoes we all wore in Utah County back then. Even Express and Limited fell off my shopping radar after I married Mr. Frugal. I hate to admit but it's been Old Navy and Target ever since.

I had to run to the bathroom and that's how I ended up in Nordstroms. Suddenly, as I strolled toward the lounge, some finery caught my eye. I'm normally not easily tempted, but this blouse was more richly turquoise and shimmery than the clear aquamarine waters I encountered in Thailand's tropical waters. It also reminded me of something someone in my ward that is very rich and stylish would wear. It a moment of insanity, I wanted to be her. Even though our stocks have fallen in half in the last few weeks and the world is in recession, I made Jeff get out his American Express and pay $86 for this Karen Kane number that the label actually calls Turquoise Temptations.
The funniest part is when I actually tried wearing it to church today. First off, I couldn't get the bow quite the way the sales lady with the beautiful manicure had shown me in the dressing room. I messed with it for 15 minutes and made us late for church. When I picked up Andy to take him out the door, he wiped his nose on the sleeve. Luckily he doesn't have a cold but geesh, can't he see this is nicer than my usual t-shirt? While we were hustling into Sacrament meeting, Nicky noticed I had a hole in the toe of my black tights and I was wearing open toed heels. I quickly tried to pull the toe portion of tights into the bottom of my shoe to hide the hole. The bow that I spent so much time trying to get right came undone twice while I was trying to pick cheerios off the chapel floor. Suddenly I got the feeling that I was half dressed in a costume with the bottom half being me and the top half being some rich person that I'm not.

I came home thinking I'm going to try and take it back and get something less high maintenance and more me. Looking at the picture tonight I get the idea I look like I'm wrapped up for Christmas. Probably not my best look!

11 comments:

Lindsay Jones said...

You made me laugh so hard! That is just like my story would be. Don't those kids understand? I think it looks beautiful on you though!

Marie' said...

I actually really like that color on you, but I know what you mean.

myspoileddogs said...

It's very cute but if it's not right take it back. Doesn't nordstroms take everything back? Even if it has little boy snot on it?

Jen and her men said...

Been there, done that. I have an $80 shirt hanging in my closet that I never wear, but it reminds me to not buy another one. The life of a mom. Now I understand why "mommy" jeans hung around so much longer than they should have. It's an honor though. I'd take being a mommy over anything else, any day!

Tribe M said...

You looked pretty, but that is how I try to dress sometimes and end up with my g's poking out from my silk blouses sliding this way and that as I struggle with my boys as they try to make get their getaways. That wasn't coherent was it? I know exactly how you feel, who you meant, and why you bought it and why you now want to return it. So funny! Love ya!

Kimberly said...

That was funny! I don't even know how long it's been since I've been inside Nordstrom, but I L.O.V.E. Nordstrom! Something about that store is so inviting...you can't help but spoil yourself when you're in there!

Unknown said...

I actually think you look really cute in your turquoise temptation! I laughed reading about the cheerios, hole in tights, etc., though. Maybe $80 shirts should be reserved for another season of life...the one where our kids know how to wipe their own noses, and don't require cheerios in church!

KellyDiane said...

I think it is pretty. I haven't purchased anything at Nordstrom in forever. Sometimes it just feels nice to splurge.

Anonymous said...

You crack me up! I love the "classy" look, I always tell Scott that someday I am going to dress classy...yeah right, I have absolutely no idea about clothes! I love your shirt-it looks awesome! We do need to get together soon!

Cami said...

good plan. No high-maintenance clothes for me!

Krustee said...

ya know, that is why Nordstrom's is so great...you can have a moment of weakness and then be reclaimed by their wonderful return policy. By the way, you looked stunning and I kept staring at the turquoise all that day. Someday we'll get to wear grown up clothes again!