Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Diagnosis that Wasn't

I certainly have many things I am grateful for but today I realized I am grateful for something that didn't happen. How many things don't happen while I don't even notice to be grateful? We recently completed week three of Nicky's nightly feet aches. Mostly the discomfort is just causing her to go to bed late and act tired all day. Last night she actually woke up at 2 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep until 5 a.m. I'd had enough of watching her suffer so I took her into the doctor today. I described the symptoms and the doctor said the most likely cause was growing pains. She seemed concerned that the bone pain was so intense and lasting so long so she said Nicky needed to do a blood test to make sure her cells didn't show signs of leukemia. I hadn't ever entertained this possibility. I'm usually pretty good about not taking a worry and running with it, but I packed my bags and let myself unpleasantly go THERE. While Nicky got her blood drawn and on the way home, I imagined how I'd never let her see me cry while she endured chemotherapy, bone marrow transplants, and when we'd fit her for a little wig. We'd buy her a puppy even if it would only have room to live and sleep on Andy's train table. When we got home, I'd gotten myself so worked up that I couldn't even look at her while I waited for the phone to ring. At 5:45 p.m. we got the word that Nicky's cell counts were normal. What a relief! How many diseases and maladies pass me and my loved ones by? I never notice. That deserves a daily entry in my gratitude journal for sure. I'm sure the time will come when bad news will find me. I'm just glad it wasn't today.

On a funny note, Andy made me laugh as the nurse was showing us back to the examination room. He noticed her white jacked and yelled out, "I don't want to haircut." I remember they wear the same white coats at the barbershop. I guess getting a haircut is more traumatic and worth remembering than getting shots. Silly boy.

7 comments:

Krustee said...

I can't tell you how sick this made me when I read the part about better draw the blood to make sure it is not leukemia. Sooo glad the reports came back normal. Did they offer another explanation??

Cami said...

Whoa! That is scary. My kids are learning all about "blood cancer" right now. I always just laugh when they do tests like that and assume they're totally wrong. I wonder what would happen to me if something came back positive.

myspoileddogs said...

Glad to hear that things are okay!!

Andy cracks me up!!

Marie' said...

Some of my brothers had the growing pains as teenagers, and it can be very painful. I hope Nikky gets over it soon.

SuburbiaMom said...

Oh, you have such an active mind! I'm glad nothing is really wrong. My husband remembers those awful growing pains--good luck!

KellyDiane said...

Hope Nicky is feeling better soon! I can't imagine how sad and stressed you were at that possible diagnosis. Glad she is okay.

KellyDiane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.