Five years ago, my older sister gifted me with one of my Grandmother Peck’s crocheted doilies. It has sat in a frame ever since and brought me joy as it is the only physical memento I have from Grandma.
Recently, it’s become much more.
I sent my memoir draft, “Three September Fires” to a good writer friend to review. My friend Jody has a master’s degree in creative writing and she’s brutally honest; just what I was looking for. She reviewed my work and sent me her critique. She had some very positive comments about my writing which I appreciated and could believe because of her honesty. She also pointed out weaknesses that had to do with structure and point-of-view. I’ve worked as a technical writer professionally so my feelings are sufficiently numbed to criticism and this was no different. In fact, I appreciate constructive criticism because it helps me to grow and become a better writer. I knew there was something wrong with my essay before I gave it to Jody, but since I’d become so involved with it over the months I couldn’t find the problems myself. Since Jody lives in Seattle, we spent time talking on the phone about my work and her opinion. I really appreciated her feedback but it now takes me back to writing again as I need to scrap the structure that I have and give the essay a new direction. I spent so much time writing my essay (almost every night for seven or eight months), that I sometimes feel guilty. I see becoming a good writer takes a lot of time. I enjoy it but I don’t want to be missing out on more important things. When Jody and I were talking she said with a laugh that writers had to be egomaniacs because they have to believe people will want to read what they write. That made me worried for a day or two. I already felt guilty for taking so much time to write, time I could be using to serve others. After hearing her opinion about writers, I started to worry that I might have an ego. I don’t want to have an ego. I want to serve others and be kind. So I wondered if writing work was selfish work.
Grandma’s framed doily had fallen behind the dresser a few months ago. I don’t know why. When we moved furniture this week I found it resting with crumbs in the corner of the room. Seeing it again fresh caused me to take in its beauty anew. I was and am mesmerized by the intricacies of Grandma’s work. I remember as a child watching her work in her soft brown rocking chair. Her nimble age-spotted fingers worked the crochet needles with all the deftness and agility I associate with spinning spiders. I imagine this one doily took hours and hours to complete and the skill it took to master the pattern must have taken years to perfect. Grandma was always watching a BYU game or the news on TV as she worked.
Recently, it’s become much more.
I sent my memoir draft, “Three September Fires” to a good writer friend to review. My friend Jody has a master’s degree in creative writing and she’s brutally honest; just what I was looking for. She reviewed my work and sent me her critique. She had some very positive comments about my writing which I appreciated and could believe because of her honesty. She also pointed out weaknesses that had to do with structure and point-of-view. I’ve worked as a technical writer professionally so my feelings are sufficiently numbed to criticism and this was no different. In fact, I appreciate constructive criticism because it helps me to grow and become a better writer. I knew there was something wrong with my essay before I gave it to Jody, but since I’d become so involved with it over the months I couldn’t find the problems myself. Since Jody lives in Seattle, we spent time talking on the phone about my work and her opinion. I really appreciated her feedback but it now takes me back to writing again as I need to scrap the structure that I have and give the essay a new direction. I spent so much time writing my essay (almost every night for seven or eight months), that I sometimes feel guilty. I see becoming a good writer takes a lot of time. I enjoy it but I don’t want to be missing out on more important things. When Jody and I were talking she said with a laugh that writers had to be egomaniacs because they have to believe people will want to read what they write. That made me worried for a day or two. I already felt guilty for taking so much time to write, time I could be using to serve others. After hearing her opinion about writers, I started to worry that I might have an ego. I don’t want to have an ego. I want to serve others and be kind. So I wondered if writing work was selfish work.
Grandma’s framed doily had fallen behind the dresser a few months ago. I don’t know why. When we moved furniture this week I found it resting with crumbs in the corner of the room. Seeing it again fresh caused me to take in its beauty anew. I was and am mesmerized by the intricacies of Grandma’s work. I remember as a child watching her work in her soft brown rocking chair. Her nimble age-spotted fingers worked the crochet needles with all the deftness and agility I associate with spinning spiders. I imagine this one doily took hours and hours to complete and the skill it took to master the pattern must have taken years to perfect. Grandma was always watching a BYU game or the news on TV as she worked.
As if answering my question about the self-centered nature of writing, Grandma’s doily seemed to speak to me. My grandmother was a selfless gift to humanity in and of herself. She was the picture of giving and service. I know crocheting is different than writing but the goals behind it may be the same. Perhaps Grandma wanted what I simply want, to create something beautiful to give to someone else and create a little immortality to go right along with the gift.
2 comments:
That's beautiful Missy. I totally agree with your last thought. I think all of us has an intrinsic desire to create. I was just reading President Uchtdorf's talk on, "Happiness, Your Heritage." he states; the "desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul." That we are "spirit[s] of the most creative Being in the universe...we develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands
and mold it into something of beauty." Doesn't sound too selfish to me :)
Post a Comment