Monday, July 6, 2009

July Blessings

My favorite holiday is the 4th of July. Some holidays make me wistfully nostalgic but not the 4th. I think it's because there are always fireworks, community celebrations, and an abundance of watermelon. Wherever I am and whomever I am with, I feel as connected with the present as the past and it's a happy party. This holiday weekend did not disappoint. The highlights:

  • Having my sister Kelly visit from Mesa. Our family feels complete when she comes to hang with us. Nicky calls her our "friend." I promise I'll have her calling you Aunty by the time you come next time, Kelly.

  • The way Jeff treated me when I blew (shredded might be the better word) the tire out in insanely busy La Jolla Cove before the fireworks. He didn't even get mad, just casually called the roadside assistance. I thought I'd ruined the whole blasted night but roadside was there in 10 minutes and we made it with plenty of time to watch the fireworks in the cove. We found parking to boot.

  • For the first time in four years it felt like we weren't taking babies out past their bedtime to torture them with loud noises and sleep deprivation. The kids enjoyed the fireworks. Andy wouldn't stop saying, "holy cow" every time a firework went up in the air. He was in pure heaven. He was Daddy's companion all night and wouldn't leave his side. Cute, cute.

  • Is there anything better than watching fireworks on the beach in San Diego?

On a different note but related to my July blessing theme, I got a call from my doctor's office today. Everything came out normal on my ultrasound. I know it doesn't guarantee that everything will be normal for the whole pregnancy or for the rest of the baby's life, but it is sure nice to hear there is nothing wrong at the moment. I may even have a few more days of not worrying until I start up again.

We are fortunate to have many friends who've offered to help us move tomorrow, watch the kids, make us food, etc. Though I've shed a few tears over moving from this home and location I've loved so much, I'm also poignantly aware of how any place becomes a home when the family that you love lives beneath its roof. So though we are off to new adventures and unknown locations, we are always at home when we are together. I am grateful for that.

6 comments:

Cami said...

Sounds lovely. Good luck in your new home!

Lisa said...

Great post and great pictures!! Wish I could help with the move. I am off to Utah again in a day. See you when I get back.

Tammy said...

Wow, Nicole and Kelly look totally alike. The fourth is my favorite holiday as well. Who doesn't love fireworks?

Tricks are for Kidds said...

I also love the 4th of July. It is my favorite holiday...even better than Christmas. I think the reason I love it so much is for me, it's always been a time for extended family. I'm not always willing to tell everyone who my relatives are but I do enjoy getting together once a year to see how the babies have grown and hear about the past years' news.

Tricks are for Kidds said...

OH, good luck with the move. Changes are always hard for me but I've found they bring new friends and experiences in my life that I wouldn't trade for anything.

KellyDiane said...

I looooved spending 4th of July weekend with you guys!!! I too am glad the tire blow out didn't spoil the festivities, that's the fastest freakin roadside service I've ever seen.

I loved laughing hysterically at the fireworks finale, seeing nicky's submerged swimming style, cracking up at Andy's most adorable sunglasses comment, the insulting bra shopping trip to Walmart, eating pizza--which left much to be desired, The 100 degree train ride, watching Cinderella III and actually enjoying it. I love you and your precious family!!! Thank you for so many good memories! So lucky to have you in my life!