Our agent checked with the bank's agent and informed us that even though the house had only been on the market one day, it was already a multiple offer situation and we should plan to make an offer above the asking price (i.e., a bidding war was about to ensue). The Saturday before the offer was due Jeff and I debated betwixt each other how much the house was really worth. I tried to keep them in check, but my emotions got involved. Did I mention how perfect the house seemed? Jeff and I finally came to an agreement and gave our agent the final offer. I kept my fingers crossed but didn't dare to hope that we might win. Jeff continued to remind me that we hadn't even seen the place so there was no guarantee that it was as perfect as I was imagining.
To make a long story short, the bank ended up taking our offer. I don't know how we guessed the right amount because there were twenty one other offers. Our agent called and said the bank was taking our offer while we were in Montana so we took a detour on the way home and stopped at Jeff's parents. Jeff's mom watched the kids on Tuesday so we could actually look at the home before we signed the paperwork.
Miracles of all miracles it was even more perfect for us than we had imagined. We were even able to talk to some of the new neighbors who were very nice and normal. There were many children out playing about the cul-de-sac and it just sort of felt like home already. Our agent had a big smile on her face the whole time because I think she was surprised we wanted the house. She's been working with Jeff long enough to know he is a hard sale.
So things are in motion and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it all goes smoothly. My feelings are mixed. At once I am both crazy excited and ready to bawl my eyes out. I have a couple of really good friends here and that is the hardest part. I also feel a sort of mid-life crises coming on. Having an adult house seems rather adult. We're not going to be in the "starting out" phase anymore.
Also, it's a little weird thinking about owning a property. I think when you have experienced foreclosure as a kid, you are on the lookout for history to repeat itself. I guess what I'm saying is I feel like I can't get too excited or attached because I know how transitory property can be. I just have to remind myself that Jeff is not my dad and I am not my mom. Jeff is actually pretty amazing with finances. So I'll try not to imagine losing the home before we even know if it will close escrow.
The other problem is that the neighbors told us the previous owners' situation. They foreclosed because of divorce. Divorce sours my mood. I feel bad swooping in and making my nest in a place where someone else had such misfortune. I guess not bad enough to not continue on with the purchase, but... Do we need to perform a hex on the property before moving in?
Other than my weird worries and feelings, these are exciting times. I'm going to be greedy and keep most of the pictures for myself for now, at least until we get things looking how we want, but I'll share these two.
9 comments:
What a beautiful house! I am so happy for you.
Our house here came up for sale because the couple was going through a divorce, too. I felt bad, but I don't know their situation. If anything, it has been a great reminder for me to love my family as best I can every day. I can't wait to see more pictures once you move in.
Cute house! Good luck with everything!
YEAH!! Such a beautiful home! I hope everything goes smoothly for you. You deserve it!!
What a beautiful home. I am so excited for you, although I am sad because it means that you will be leaving....okay so when do we get to play????
Looks beautiful. Congratulations! And don't feel bad about the foreclosure thing - the three main causes of bankruptcy are extreme medical costs, divorce, and unemployment. Divorce is not only sad, it's expensive!!
Love the house! What a relief for you! My fingers are crossed it all goes through. It sounds to me like it's meant to be :)
YAY! Congrats! It looks lovely. I can't wait to see more pics!
What a nice looking house!! I think Colleen told me it is in Rocklin. Jeff, I know your mom and dad will be happy that you are closer to Dublin now. I remember driving by Rocklin on the way to Reno and often would think to myself ..... gee this looks like a nice area, I wouldn't mind settling here someday. Of course I ended up in Tucson. After you guys get settled, please share some pictures with me and Colleen.
Uncle Joey
missy! i am so excited for you!! i am glad you guys get that house, it is beautiful!! and love the huge kitchen, ahhhh, nice!
Post a Comment